Old Flame

Saturday came by quickly and everyone was getting ready for the party

Saturday came by quickly and everyone was getting ready for the party. "Ugh I hate these things!" Knuckles groaned tucking in his dark blue button shirt in his black jeans hoping to pass them off as dress pants. Someone knocks on the door.he walks up and opens the door to see shadow and Luigi. "Come in you two he said walking to the kitchen downing a glass of wine. "Why are you wearing black jeans?" Luigi asked in his green button shirt with dark gray dress pants. "Damn it that's noticeable!" Knuckles said. They both nod as Knuckles storms off to his bedroom to grab his black dress pants. "He really hates these doesn't he." "Yep." Knuckles walks out with the fancier pants. "Be lucky I love you and your uncle or I wouldn't be going" "I know red I love you too" shadow smirked. Knuckles rolled his eyes grabbing his black coat as they leave. Luigi's car felt nice with its grey leather material and heated seats in the back. "So! How long have you two been together?" Luigi asked. "Almost 3 months right?" Knuckles asked from the back. "Yeah" shadow said. "Cool" Luigi smiled as the pull up to the large cabin like mansion. "Damn I keep forgetting your uncle is a king" Luigi said. "No shit" knuckles nervously as he sinks into the seats. "Don't worry knux it's not snobbish. It's like the parties peach throws you'll be ok I promise you love." Shadow smiles in the mirror.

They walk up the snow covered steps and is greeted by a male server taking their coats. "Right this way your highness and guests." A female rabbit maid said with a smile. She leads them to the large sun room with high ceilings. Showing the stunning night sky. "Wow" Luigi said amazed. "Yoo-hoo! Luigi over here!" Daisy called wearing a green off the shoulder knee length dress. "See you guys later" he waved to go join his fiancée. Knuckles tenses a bit but relaxes when shadow takes his hand and they join their friends. "You boys look handsome tonight." Rouge said wearing a dark pink cocktail dress. "Thank you and you look nice as well" shadow smiled in his dark grey button shirt with black pants. "Hey guys!" Sonic said walking up in a black button down shirt with white pants. "Hey sonic" they all said. "Shadz your uncle knows how to throw a nice party. Amy and peach are talking to him about it right now" he chuckles. "Why are you letting him be tortured like that man." Knuckles joked shadow and rouge laugh. "Anyways i gotta find Mario Kat wants to take to us about the opening ceremony scene." "He's by the bar with Tails, Cream, Blaze and Silver mind if I join you I need to refill." Rouge said. "Thanks and sure" they walk off. "Should we go and save my uncle?" Shadow asked. "Don't have to ask me twice." Knuckles responded. They find his uncle enjoying a lovely conversation with Peach, Amy, and Pauline. As they get closer they hear the conversation. "Yes actually I do enjoy beef tartar but I think if I made this a bit more formal I would've served it. That's why I went with a wine soaked roast beef bites." He grinned. "It's delicious and I never thought about it like that." Pauline said taking another off a server tray. "This choice of wine is perfect with it as well." Peach said. "Well thank you princess. I find the grapes that grow in the Caribbean make it extra sweet." He bows his head slightly. He notices his nephew and knuckles giving them a smile. "Excuse me ladies I am needed." They bow and walk off joint the crowd. "Wow uncle" shadow said. "They weren't bothering you?" "No no I simply adore others who share my interest in party planning. How are you enjoying it so far?" He asked looking at knuckles. "It's surprisingly relaxing" he said. "Good" Vladimir smiled. "Now boys I would love for you to tast-" "Shadow?!" A female voice interrupts Vladimir. Shadow turns and becomes more paler than usual. A Blonde female hedgehog with teal blue eyes, flowers in her hair, light blue ruffle dress, and a teal choker walks up and hugs him. "I haven't seen you in ages!" She said releasing him. "M-Ma-Maria?" He stuttered. "Yes it's me handsome god you really gotten more handsome~" she flirted twirling her finger in his chest fur. Knuckles feels himself boiling with jealousy and anger as she touches shadow. "So who's your friend?~" she smiled looking at knuckles like he's nothing more than a friend to shadow making him more mad. "I'm not his friend I'm his mate so how about you take your finger off of him before I break it." Knuckles blurted out and froze realizing he said it out loud. "Excuse me? Did you just threaten a member of the royal court?" Her eyes change from teal blue to light purple. "I don't care if your a empress you don't touch him." He growled. "Ok that's enough you two" Vladimir spoke. "Now Maria I know you and Shadow use to be married back then but he has a mate now so please respect it." He finished. "Wait what?!" Knuckles said looking at shadow. "Wow ok thanks for that info" he storms off. "Knux wait!" Shadow finally said going after him. Knuckles grabs his coat from the coat boy and burst out the door. "Knuckles!" Shadow said not even putting on his coat. "Dont fucking talk to me!" Knuckles shouted as he walks not looking back at shadow. "Damn it stop you stubborn knucklehead!" Shadow yelled as he bolts closer grabbing knuckles hand. Knuckles yanks his hand away and turns back staring at shadow. "Look I-" "YOU WERE MARRIED!" Knuckles yelled heartbroken. "Yes it was a arranged marriage at the time I didn't have a choice then!" "If that's the case then why-" "We never linked! For awhile I was in love with her but she wasn't my mate and according to my fathers marriage law if the link never occurs then the marriage is annulled. I feel out in love with her once she started talking about force linking which is illegal in the vampire community. I snuck out of the castle to get our marriage annulled that night! I promise you knux you're the one I love not her! I'm sorry I should've told you about this."  Shadow confessed hoping Knuckles would understand. He sees a tear fall from his face and wipes his purple eyes. "I'm so sorry knux I truly am....." shadow said calmly. Knuckles looks down then back up at shadow who's trying to hide the fact he's cold. "So you really don't love her?" "I haven't loved her for 200 years. I love you and only you." Shadow said cupping the side of Knuckle's face. "I love you too, ya old cold coot." Knuckles chuckles shadow joins him before kissing him reassuring his mate he's the only one for him. "Let's get back inside before you freeze" knuckles said taking off his coat and placing it on shadow. They head back inside just in time for the northern lights. "Everyone it's time for the wonderment of the northern lights!" Vladimir announced as the lights in the room dim. The colors of purple green and pink fill the sky. Everyone awes and oohs starring at the moving lights.

Shadow feels knuckles head lay on his shoulder and he holds his hand. They smile watching the lights together.