Chapter 26

And So It Begins

Rasheed sat frowning. They were in his room. His jaws hurt, his cheeks felt like they were on fire and he couldn't fully open one eye. Deepak tossed a first aid kit on the bed. Rasheed waited for him to leave. He stayed put. Neither one could understand the other's stupidity.

"I wish I could slap you!" Deepak was the first to burst out.

Rasheed tilted his face towards him. "Go ahead." He said wearily. What was one more slap anyway?

Deepak grabbed hold of his jaws. Rasheed winced. "Slap you where? Both your cheeks are red and swollen. There's blood coming out your nose. And I'm pretty sure I saw a tooth fly out your mouth."

Rasheed freed himself from his friend's grasp. "Turn on the lights as you leave. It's getting dark outside."

Deepak huffed as he marched to the switch box. He hit the switches and bright white light flooded the room. A tear involuntarily fell from Rasheed's eye.

"Leave." He said as he made his way to the bed.

"And who'll tend to your wounds?"

"Just shut up and leave." The boy said, his eyes on the blue and white bedspread. He wanted to break down crying and he didn't want to do so in front of someone.

"Rasheed..."

"Leave!" He shouted, fury blazing in his eyes.

His friend gritted his teeth. Then he left the room, closing the door behind him. Rasheed finally let go of his control. His lips trembled as the first wave of years cascaded down his swollen cheeks.

_____________

There was a soft knock on his door. Rasheed didn't bother to reply. He was in that almost-numb state; drained from crying and half-asleep. The door swung open. A woman in a burkhaa entered. 

Rasheed turned away, his back to the door. "I'll talk later, di. I'm tired. Please leave."

The woman flipped up her niqaab. "It's me. Deepak had asked me to check on you."

Rasheed went as stiff as a wooden beam. "Get out." He warned her.

"Come on, let me help you."

"Sanaa..." he warned her again. "Get. Out."

She stayed where she was, a few feet from his bed. She picked up the first aid kit near her feet. He had kicked it away, to stretch his legs. She took one careful step towards him. His hand fisted up.

"Sanaa, don't you dare." He warned her a third time

She simply squared up her shoulders and walked right upto him. "Come on now, get up."

He didn't budge.

She took hold of his burgundy shirt and tugged. The material was as soft as her movement. "Come on, Rasheed. Let me help you."

He sat up, frustrated. She dipped a piece of cotton in water. He didn't dare look at her. His hands lay limp on his lap. He was afraid of what he might see in her eyes. Probably disgust, repulse, horror, pity. A hand brushed away his hair and held it in place. She used the cotton to wipe away the caked blood on his nose. She searched for a hand towel. And used it to wipe the sweat and dirt on his forehead.

'Smug. She must be smug now. Satisfied at what I've gotten.' His hands fisted up.

"Leave the box here. I'll do the rest myself." He said.

"Lift up your hand." She commanded. "Come on, do it. Hold it out straight."

He clenched his jaw. He tried to lift his hands. They buckled under the strain. "My hand works fine." He lied.