Chapter 31

An Entitled Attitude

When Sanaa returned home that evening, the same impassive silence greeted her. Mr. Hamdi refused to look at her as he placed his helmet on the side table. He pensively left for his room. Sanaa couldn’t help the wave of unease; almost like the after effects of drinking too much coffee. Mrs. Hamdi glared at her.

“We need to talk.” She sulked.

Bearer of bad news.’ Sanaa thought as she somberly followed her mother to her room. She neither removed her burkhaa nor let go of the bag hanging on her shoulder. Her ‘conversation’ with Rasheed had drained her. She wasn't in the mood for any more 'conversations'. 

Her mother sat on the plastic chair as Sanaa took a seat on the bed. The whole room was doused in misery. Maybe it was her own misery. 

“Your father is shocked at your behaviour.” Mrs. Hamdi began. “How do you know this boy who came home last night?”

“I met him at the bus stop.” Sanaa gave in.

“You come by train. How did you meet him at the bus stop? Are you lying to me? So you’ve started lying to your mother now.” Her face was frozen stiff, her lips pulled together in a thin line.

“At school. During my school days. At the bus stop there.” Sanaa muttered as she avoided her mother’s eyes. She noticed the gardenia patterns on her mother’s faded nightie. 

A long silence. Sanaa looked up tentatively. She noticed the tears welling up in her mother’s eyes. She was taken aback.

“Ammi, don’t cry.” She got up to console her mother.

“Don’t you dare!" Her mother shoutes. "I swear, if you take one more step towards me,...” she raised her hand.

Sanaa froze at her mother’s loud voice and harsh tone. Her knees buckled. She resumed her seat on the bed, the tears falling like melted ice; down, on her lap like melted glaciers.

Ameena peeked in. She noticed the stifling atmosphere in the room. She bravely stepped in. She hurried over to her sister and held her arm.

“Choti, this does not concern you.” Their mother sat glaring at Sanaa. She was sobbing beyond control.

“It’s not her fault. She didn’t do anything.” Ameena tried to speak for her.

“Ameena! Get out of the room! Right now. You’re not needed here.” Mrs. Hamdi jumped to her feet, furious. “Get out!” She grabbed hold of Ameena’s arm and dragged the girl out of the room. She then shut the door as she turned back to Sanaa.

“Do you have any idea the shame that you've brought on us? You have been seeing this boy for the past 4 years now. Do you know how we feel hearing this? We trusted you so much. We thought you were a grown-up, responsible adult. Do you have any idea how this affects Ameena? Don’t you see? She’ll think that your behaviour is alright and she’ll follow you. She’s always copied you. Do you want her to copy this too?” Her voice kept rising with every question that she asked.

Sanaa looked around. She was searching for something she could use to clean her tear-stained face with. Her mother removed the shawl over her shoulders and handed it. Sanaa sat hugging and crying into the shawl.

“No more phone privileges for you. Hand it over.”

Sanaa looked up pleadingly. “Ammi, no.” She still had some things left unsaid with Rasheed.

“So this means you’ll continue talking to him.”

Sanaa shook her head ‘no’. It was not Zafeer that concerned her.