Chapter 4

When Your Past Calls, Let it Ring

  Sanaa sat fidgeting her dupatta. Should she tell Ameena what she knew? Sanaa shook her head. Ameena would be very angry with her for talking to Feroz. What else could she do? She couldn't talk to Shoba about this and talking to Ameena was totally out of the question. Ameena chose to enter Sanaa's room at that moment.

     She seemed very happy. "Didi! I saw him today after school in that lane down the road. He gave me a gift." She brought her hands in front of her, a beautiful set of 5 gold bangles on her wrists. It took Sanaa everything she had to stay composed. She wanted to snatch the bangle's out of her sister's wrists and maybe fling it out the window. She took two deep breaths and then smiled.

     "They're so pretty, Chotti." Sanaa said as Ameena grinned. She sat on the bed next to her didi.

     "Do you think that Rasheed really likes me?" she asked.

     Sanaa sat tongue-tied. She didn't have the heart to her little sister tell the truth. She tore her eyes away from the bangles and dared to look at Ameena. Her eyes held an eager curiosity, innocent and child-like. Sanaa replied, "Of course he likes you. Why else would he buy something as beautiful as this for you?"

     Ameena's grin widened. "I was thinking of going out with him this Saturday. Will you cover for me?" She held her sister's hand, innocent and child-like.

     Sanaa melted. "Of course I'll cover for you, Chotti."

     Ameena hugged her didi and happily skipped out of the room. Once she was gone, Sanaa started panicking. Rasheed didn't really like Ameena. Well, maybe he did. But not in the forever way. If her sister were to fall too deep in love, it would be very difficult to save her from heartbreak. Sanaa sat up. Maybe it was not too late. Maybe she could still nip it in the bud. Maybe she could talk to Ameena.

     Ameena's phone rang

     Ameena's phone rang. It was from an unknown number. She picked it up.

     "Hello?" she said.

     "Hello? Can I speak to Ameena?" said a familiar voice.

     "Yes, I'm Ameena. Who is this?"

     "Ameena, this is Suraj. Remember me?" the boy said.

     "Yeah, I remember. I have to go now. Bye."

     "Ai, listen! Please don't cut the call. I didn't call you to patch you up with Feroz. Believe me. I just need to talk to you."

     Ameena was silent. Suraj was Feroz's best friend. Anytime the couple fought, Suraj was the one putting some sense into their heads.

     Suraj spoke up again. "Hey, I know you're going out with Rasheed. And I know it'll be wrong to patch you up with Feroz at this time. But there are some things that need to be cleared."