Chapter 2

Curiouser and Curiouser

Rasheed lay sprawled across the rectangular table, staring at the white ceiling. He was still replaying Ravi and Shoba's break-up scene in his head. Two weeks had passed and neither one seemed interested in the other any longer. Rasheed was satisfied. Another instance of a woman's fickle love had been tested and proven.

    Rasheed was actually more curious about the girl in the burkhaa. Maybe she was just one of those mousy, silent types who were frightened of everything in the world. He made a sound of exasperation. That was the most logical explanation for her behaviour during her friend's break-up. But somehow, it didn't fit in. Rasheed himself had seen his fair share of break-ups, heartbroken women and their violent, psycho friends. But the girl with Shoba didn't fit in with any of the girls he'd seen before. There was something about her that refused to fit in.

    Rasheed massaged his forehead. Thinking too much about her was giving him a headache. He took out his phone and turned on the net. Messages poured in. He scrolled through the list, searching for his girlfriend's number. He had the habit of checking her number first, reading her message, then looking at the rest.

    She had texted him, 'I'll be waiting at the ice-cream shop after school.'  He smiled. He loved to spoil her. He didn't know why, though. 

    Sanaa sighed in exasperation

    Sanaa sighed in exasperation. "Fine! I'll come with you. But you've got to promise me that it's just the three of us." 

     Shoba pinched her throat. "I promise that it's just the three of us; Mary, you, and me. And we'll be home by 5."

     Sanaa said, "I don't have any money on me."

     Shoba and Mary grinned. "We had already planned to go out last night. So we're over prepared. Meaning that we've got the expenses covered."

    Rasheed looked around the quaint icecream shop

    Rasheed looked around the quaint icecream shop. There she was, seated at the table in the corner, facing the door. There were two more couples in the shop. Rasheed walked over to his girlfriend and sat down in the chair opposite hers, his back to the door. He looked at her with a softness in his eyes. She looked pretty. He could see that she had washed her face and applied the kohl around her eyes just before leaving the school gates. His chest puffed with pride. She had taken the effort to look pretty, just for him.