Chapter 9

The next morning, Sanaa couldn't get up. She felt too weak. She lay in bed for a few more minutes and then decided that she had to get up. As she got down from the bed, she felt dizzy. She flopped down on the bed, shivering. She felt like someone had run a bulldozer over her and then had decided to light her on fire. Her phone rang. It was Rasheed. She picked up the call.

"Hello?" she said softly.

"How many times do I need to call you? You won't pick up my call or what? You've become arrogant? Oh! I get it. You're showing me attitude for yesterday, aren't you?"

Hot tears fell from Sanaa's eyes. "Rasheed, I woke up just now....."

"It's 11 in the morning and you woke up just now? So you missed your morning prayer? What sort of a muslim women are you?" There was disgust in his voice.

"I wasn't feeling well....."

"Of course you weren't feeling well." he said sarcastically. "Meet me at the park at 4. You'll come, won't you? Or else...."

"Yeah, yeah! I'll come."

"You'll be feeling well by 4, won't you?" She was silent. "Even if you're not, you better be there."

"Ok, I'll be there."

"Exactly at four. Not even a minute late."

"Ok, exactly at 4." He cut the call just as Sanaa's mother entered her room.

"It's 11 o'clock. You weren't awake for your morning prayer. Are you ok?" she asked, concern lining her brows. Sanaa just hugged her mother tight. Her mother sat down beside her and wiped off the tears on Sanaa's cheeks. That was when she noticed the heat on her daughter's body. "Sanaa, I think you're running a temperature."

"I know, ammi. I'm not feeling well."

"Go and eat more icecreams and cme back home in the rain some more." she frowned. Sanaa was silent as she lay her head on her mother's shoulder. "We should go to the doctor."

Her mother helped her get ready and went to go get her father. In the hallway outside the room, she bumped into Ameena. She was clad in a burkhaa and was searching for her mother. Her mother stopped her.

"Where are you going?"

"Harsha's mom wants me to come over to their house. I asked Abbu's (father's) permission. I was just searching for you. Can I go?"

"When will you be back?"

"By 1 pm?"

"No, stay there till 4 pm. Your sister's not well. We're taking her to the doctor's. If you stay at home, you'll be bored. So be at Harsha's till 4." Ameena hugged her mother before heading out the door.

     When Ameena reached Harsha's flats, she was surprised to see Harsha waiting for outside the gate, on the pavement

"Where are you going?" Ameena asked her. Harsha's mother, a lady in her forties, came towards them all smiles.