Chapter 8

A few weeks later, Sanaa sat texting Shoba.

    Shoba: Where did you run off to?
    Sanaa: I have a date with my bf.
    Shoba: I've been wanting to ask you. Why are you on dates 24/7? I mean like literally everyday?
    Sanaa: 'Cos we love each other that much?
    Shoba: Is everything alright? You've been acting weird all of a sudden.
Sanaa: What do you mean 'weird'? I shouldn't have a bf or what?
    Shoba: No, I just meant that best friends don't usually keep their love life a secret between each other. You should have been dying to tell me every thing about your Prince Charming. So, why haven't you? What's wrong?
    Sanaa: Yeah, I'll do that later. He's here. talk to you later.

    Sanaa looked up as Rasheed sat down beside her. "So, what are you wearing today?" he asked her.

    "Yellow kurti and pants." she replied.

     "You didn't wear the tights with the kurti, did you?"

     "You had asked me not to."

     "I don't believe you."

     She huffed as she pulled her burkhaa an inch up from her ankles. A white palazzo peeked out. "Happy?" she snapped.

     Rasheed kept staring at the pant. "Why is it so short? It's an inch above your ankle. Why do you dress like this? What, you like to show your parts or what?"

     Sanaa fisted her hands. Rasheed smirked. The last time when she had worn tights and Rasheed had spoken like that, she had slapped him. He had gotten very angry (or rather, pretended to) and had gone out with Ameena for two days. He had even posted pictures of the two of them in the park (with Ameena's permission, of course). And Sanaa had seen them because Rasheed had made her follow him on the social media platform. Apparently, she had learnt her lesson because she sat tongue-tied.

     He threw the menu card at her. "See what you don't like." Sanaa looked through the menu. "Why should I see what I don't like?"

     He didn't reply and Sanaa knew why without even looking up. He was glaring at her. And she didn't dare look up.

     "I'll see what I don't like." she replied. Then, she put the card on the table and pointed out the items.

    "So you're okay with everything else on the menu?" he asked her gently. She nodded her head, almost trembling with anticipation. Was he really going to order everything else on the menu? He had the waiter come over and he gave the order. Sanaa was silent. She didn't dare say anything. He had ordered everything she had pointed out.

    And the order came, one by one. By the time Sanaa was finished with the vanilla icecream and the grape juice, she could feel her throat become numb. Then,when the badam milk came, Sanaa was relieved because it was actually not iced. But Rasheed must have noticed the relief on her face because he had the waiter replace the normal badam milk with two chilled ones. The waiter placed one glass in front of Raheed and the other in front of Sanaa. Rasheed then proceeded to ask the waiter to decrease the temperature of the A/C to make the place more chill. Then once the waiter was gone, Rasheed pushed his glass of chilled badam milk next to Sanaa's. She was horrified. Her hands were as cold as ice and her throat was beginning to act up.

     "Rasheed..." she began pleadingly.

     "Yeah? What happened?"

     She had to cough to be able to speak. "Can you please stop?"

    He just sat staring at his phone. "Aww! This picture looks adorably cute, na?" he showed her one of the pictures he had taken with Ameena in the park. She looked so happy beside him. And Sanaa couldn't help but wonder how she could have been so happy. Then, Rasheed frowned at the picture. "But, I personally feel that there is something wrong with the photo. Maybe it's the pose. I should have pulled her closer and put an arm around her waist. Don't you think so?"

    He finally managed to tear his eyes away from Ameena's face and saw that Sanaa had already gulped down half the glass of badam milk. Rasheed smirked again. Watching her hurt and ache gave him a sort of satisfaction. He felt that she was the reason he lay at night, soothing an aching heart, worrying about Ameena. And Sanaa had to suffer for that. It was her fault; her deal.

     She began coughing, doubling up and clutching her stomach. He gave his glass of water to her. She sipped the water and wiped away the tears from her eyes. Rasheed called the waiter over and ordered a hot cup of coffee. Sanaa looked at him gratefully for his change of heart.

     "Finish the badam milk." he said, gesturing the glass. Snaa sat drinking the ice cold liquid with the thought of the hot coffee helping her. She was just starting on the second glass when the coffee came. Rasheed poured two packets of sugar and stirred the cup. Then he just lifted the cup to his lips and began drinking the coffee.

     "Come on, finish your drink fast. It's getting very chilly here." he said.

     "Rasheed? I can't drink this. My throat.......it's hurting." Sanaa pleaded, her voice raspy. He set down his cup and pulled out his phone.

     "See, like I was telling you, this picture really needs to be improved. I mean just look at that awful pose. She's like standing almost behind me, which won't do. Just imagine, me pulling her close to my chest, one arm around her waist. And cue that cute blush on her cheeks. Tomorrow is a Saturday, right? Which means your sister doesn't have school tomorrow. Which also means that she and me could go to the park tomorrow."

    Sanaa held up her hand. "I'll finish this. Give me some time."

     "No time. I'm feeling cold. You better finish the milk before I finish my coffee." He picked up his cup again.

     Sanaa somehow managed to gulp down the ice cold badam milk in five minutes.

     When she reached home, she didn't stop to speak to anyone. She just went straight to her room and locked the door behind her. She sat on her bed, her body shivering. Hot tears fell from her eyes and she put a hand to her mouth, trying to keep in her sob. She removed her burkhaa slowly and then lay in bed. She wrapped herself up in two blankets and then fell asleep, her eyelids hot against her eyes.

 She wrapped herself up in two blankets and then fell asleep, her eyelids hot against her eyes

_________________________

Published on Wattpad

________________________