Chapter 19

Sanaa had managed to detach herself from Zafeer's arms before Shoba could catch them. She had then thrown a ‘not interested' at his face and had walked away. Shoba had hurried to catch up with her.

As Sanaa sat on her bed, trying to focus on her assignment, she couldn't help it as her mind went back to Zafeer. The way his gaze had delved into her soul. The light chuckle that hid the seriousness in his eyes, still played in her mind. The feeling of a protective, warm blanket on a rainy day as he had held her. Zafeer had not seemed dejected at her rejection. Rather, it seemed like he had come prepared for it. And she was sure that he was going to do something about it.
Ameena entered, unannounced. “Di, I need your help.” She had a textbook in her hand.

Sanaa sighed, trying to shake away all thoughts of Zafeer. “What do you want, Chotti?”

“I want your help.” Ameena pleaded.

Sanaa looked at the textbook in her sister's hand and made a face. “I'm not very good in History. I can't help you, sorry.”

“It’s not that.” Ameena sat down beside Sanaa. Her voice dropped to a whisper as she said, “I have to go out to meet someone. Can you please come with me for emotional support?” Ameena took hold of her didi's hand.

It was only then that Sanaa noticed how cold they were. And she slowly began to notice the fear in Chotti's eyes. “Why can't Harsha go with you?”

“It is because, in this situation, I need my elder sister with me and not my best friend.” Her eyebrows arched up, sadly.

And Sanaa gave in before her sister could pout.

*******************
______________________

Published on Wattpad
________________________

The next day, Sanaa was seated beside her sister in a shady looking restaurant. As she looked around the partly desolated place, she wished she had found out more about this ‘well thought out plan' of her sister's.

“Chotti, why are we here?” she asked soflty, leaning against the white tiled wall.

“To meet my friend.” Ameena loosened the black shawl around her head.

“No, I meant the restaurant. Why did you choose this place instead of anywhere else?”

“Well, this is a rather isolated restaurant. Not many people come here.”

Sanaa wanted to ask more. But Ameena, who had been peering past the sofa, exclaimed, “He's here!” and grabbed hold of her sister's hand.

Sanaa couldn't help the cry of pain that escaped her mouth. “Chotti, that's my hand. Not your Lal Bahadur.” She said, tears pricking her eyes.

“Didi!” she hushed her sister, eyes wide in disbelief. Lal Bahadur was a small, lion doll that had comforted Ameena as a kid. “I threw away Lal Bahadur 4 years back.”

Sanaa held in her grin. “I'm pretty sure I saw him hidden beneath your bed.”

Ameena silenced her sister with a look. Rasheed came over and sat across them. This time, Sanaa took hold of her sister's hand 
‘Oh God, no!’ she thought, her heart stopping for a minute.