Chapter 6

"Okay, class. For your investigative project...I'm going to group you into 4 members and you have to work as a team, okay?"

Ms.Chantal, their science teacher, said as she fixed her spectacle.

The class groaned in complaint while others were fidgeting nervously. Ryujin was one of them. Yeji glanced at Ryujin, hoping that they'll be groupmates.

"For group 1..." Ms.Chantal starts to read the names on her list. "Yeji, Karina, Minju, and Yuri."

Yeji frowned when she heard her name being called. She wanted to be with Ryujin.

"Yeji, over here!"

the girl named, Karina, called over. Yeji nodded and grabbed her things then went into their spot. As the teacher announced the members for each group, Yeji kept checking on Ryujin side. Part of her was relieved to see Ryujin smiling at her new friends, Chaewon and Lia.

"For group 7," the trio paid attention as well as Yeonjun. "Chaewon, Yeonjun, Ryujin, and Lia."

Yeji saw how Ryujin smiled brightly when she heard her group members. It made her anxious thinking that Ryujin may forget about her and leave her for her new friends.

Ryujin scanned the whole room looking for Yeji. When their eyes met, Ryujin smiled whole-heartedly at her which reminded her that the latter did promise her that she'll always be her number one.

"So... Yeji,"

Karina began as she smiled in a friendly manner. Yeji and her groupmates were coincidentally popular like her. Minju is a smart social butterfly. Yuri is known for her straightforward attitude and overflowing confidence. Karina, on the other hand, is the elegant and sophisticated girl that rarely smiles and is usually quiet.

"Are you...friends with that quiet girl?"

Karina asked as she rests her cheek on her palm. Minju and Yuri looked at her patiently waiting for her reply.

"It's Ryujin, Karina and yes, we're friends."

Yeji replied smiling proudly.

"She's kinda cute, ain't she? especially when she smiles."

Minju commented which caught their attention. The girls glanced in Ryujin direction. Ryujin had a glowing smile on her face as she talked to Lia and Chaewon.

"Yeah, she does."

Yeji mumbled while looking dreamily at Ryujin.

______

Lia was sitting on the bench, waiting for Chaewon, Yeonjun, and Ryujin to arrive. They're meeting up for their project and planned to spend the whole Saturday to start so they can finish it before the deadline.

She, then, heard a clicking sound coming from a camera. She whipped her head only to see Ryujin smiling teasingly at her.

"I like your hairstyle. It's cute."

Lia rolled her eyes playfully then chuckled. Ryujin sat beside her and placed her bag on her lap.

"did you take a photo of me?"

Lia asked while looking at her suspiciously. Ryujin shrugged then pursed her lips.

"Can I see?"

Lia asked excitedly then leaned to take a better look as Ryujin held her camera.

"Sure."

Lia pouted when she saw the dragonfly on her hair.

"It should've been a butterfly..."

Ryujin giggled then wrapped her arm around the slim girl as she replied,

"it's okay. Dragonflies are way cooler than butterflies."

Lia scrunched her nose then muttered,

"Mom said dragonflies meant a storm is coming."

Ryujin looked at her skeptically then turned off her camera.

"Ayo!"

The two whipped their head only to see Chaewon and Yeonjun walking towards them. They waved their hands enthusiastically as they stood up.

"what's up with the camera?"

Chaewon asked curiously as she gestured towards the camera on Ryujin hand.

"Yeonjun asked me to bring one for the documentation for the project."

The four of them had fun as they spent time together. Lia was the one who's in charge of the documentation. Chaewon would prepare the materials needed or perhaps give them snacks since they're performing the project at her house. Ryujin was in charge to lead the experiment with the assistance of Yeonjun.

When they separate ways to go home, Ryujin and Yeonjun walked together since they live in the same street.

"Hey, Ryujin. Do you have a crush on someone from our class?"

Yeonjun asked as he slowed down his pace in walking. Ryujin stopped in her track, completely caught off guard with his question.

She knew she likes her best friend but she can't let anyone know so she shook her head then masked a blank expression on her face to make it seem like she was telling the truth.

"No,"

she replied in an audible whisper. She looked at him as she continues to walk at a slow pace. She asked hesitantly,

"How about you?"

Yeonjun smiled shyly as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone..."

He asked looking straight into her eyes. She nodded in return as she felt herself getting nervous for his next response.

"I like your best friend, Yeji."

Ryujin paused for a moment as she felt a sting in her chest. Her hands went cold and were slightly trembling to make her shove it into her pocket.

Yeonjun was walking ahead. Ryujin regained her senses then jogged towards him to catch up. She smiled to make it seem like she wasn't hurting.

"You l-like her?"

She asked to make sure. Yeonjun nodded as he looked down then bit his lips. He lifts his gaze to face Ryujin then asked,

"Don't tell her, okay?"

Ryujin avoided his gaze then looked ahead to hide her sorrowful expression as she clenched her fist.

"I won't."

Yeonjun smiled cheerfully as he shook Ryujin hand then pats her arm.

"Thanks, buddy."

Ryujin smiled at him despite knowing that she'll have to support him with his crush.

"I'm planning on confessing next year on Valentine's day."

Yeonjun said as he kicked a pebble on the sidewalk. He paused on his track then looked at her with a hopeful smile as he asked,

"Will you help me win her heart?"

Ryujin clenched her teeth. She wanted to cry but she doesn't want anyone to see her crying weakly all because of a hopeless puppy love. She knew Yeji is straight and that she'll never like her like how she does. She muttered a reply that is enough to break her heart further,

"I'll help."