Chapter 14

"Yes. I'm hopelessly in love with my bestfriend. I'm in love with you, Yeji."

The way she looked at her with an unreadable expression crumbled Ryujin confidence. Yeji didn't say anything and went back to her seat. It took Ryujin a strong grip to herself to stop the tears from streaming down her cheeks. Yeji must've been disgusted at her.

She wanted to talk to her and tell her everything but then their classmates were back. Lia and Chaewon noticed something is wrong when they saw Ryujin looking gloomy and Yeji who seems to be distant with her thoughts. They noticed how Yeji didn't spare a glance at Ryujin which is unusual since she always make sure to check on Ryujin.

As much as they wanted to ask Ryujin what happened, they knew Ryujin needs space and that her and Yeji needs to talk. When class was over, Chaewon and Lia was about to ask Ryujin to walk home with them but then Yeji was ahead of them and was talking to Ryujin with a cold expression while Ryujin looks nervous. Ryujin noticed the two's presence. She forced a smile and told them that they should go home ahead.

When Lia and Chaewon left, Yeji waited for Ryujin at the gate. Ryujin could feel her heart beating fast out of nervousness. Millions of thoughts were swimming through her mind.

'What if she feels the same?"

'Will she accept me for who I am?"

'Will I still be her best friend?'

She sat down beside her as the quiet atmosphere surrounded them. It was different from the usual comfortable silence. It was nerve-wrecking for Ryujin. Her urge to talk to Yeji and tell her everything disappeared when she saw Yeji acting differently from the Yeji she knew. Yeji said in an audible whisper,

"I...I can't talk to you again...for a while."

She didn't even glance at her bestfriend. Ryujin remained quiet as tears welled eyes. up her She looked down dejectedly as she silently wished for her to wake up from this heartbreaking dream.

"I have to go. Bye Ryujin."

Yeji left to walk to their car. Ryujin could only watch her leave. She felt as if her heart was being ripped from her chest and thrown into the bin. Ryujin blamed herself for allowing herself to fall for her. She blamed herself for ruining their friendship. For being selfish.

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she bit her bottom lip to stop it from quivering. She didn't bother wiping it. She was too drowned in her sadness. She never thought that Yeji would be the cause of her first heartache. She thought she'd never fall for her but how can she not, when each day, Yeji never fail to make her feel loved and important.

She hugged the pillow trying to comfort herself. She can still hear her saying those painful words.

"I can't talk to you again...for a while."

Hearing those words made her feel as if thousands of needles were stabbed in her chest. She knew going back to California with her parents is for the best. Maybe then, Yeji would forget about her. After all, she knew people barely knew her existence. She was just a nobody...atleast that's what she thought before meeting Yeji and having her in her life.

But despite having her heart broken by her bestfriend, she intends to keep her promise to her. Her promise to not hate her or forget about her.

She was really glad that she had Lia and Chaewon to lean on and talk to about her feelings for Yeji. She'll forever treasure their moments together. But at some point, she knew good things are only temporary.

Meanwhile, Yeji called her favorite cousin, Soyeon. She vented out her frustrations while Soyeon listened attentively. She sat at the edge of her bed as she hold the phone and continued,

"I know I promised her that I'd never hurt her but....I never realized that she was already hurting because of me."

Soyeon frowned upon hearing this. She replied calmly,

"Yeji, her being hurt is unavoidable and it was her choice. She chose to take the risk by allowing herself to fall in love with you despite knowing the possible consequence. In fact, what she did by confessing to you sincerely is admirable."

She paused for a moment then trails off,

"I...can't return her affection and you know why."

Soyeon sighed on the other line and replied,

"I know....but...I just don't want you to do something that you might regret later on."

Yeji sobbed quietly knowing that she has to avoid Ryujin. It will be hard for her but she thinks, this is the only way to make things less complicated.

She only thought of her as a bestfriend. It's always been that way yet she never realized that her bestfriend was catching feelings for her.

Feelings that she couldn't reciprocate.