Chapter 6: Liulfr

As Selina headed past the school gates, her mind was still on the family reunion. "Even if my Uncle and his family come, I can't be hundred percent sure we'll get separated somehow," Selina thought to herself, "I was so happy to hear I can bring a friend, but.." As she opens her locker anxiously, she starts to take out some books for her mourning classes, "I forgot I hardly know any of these people, and I can't guarantee they would come to a stranger's family reunion." She slams her locker, "Thinking about seeing them again, I'm...so scared..."

She places her forehead on her locker, trembling at the thought when a pair of hands slam against the lockers neighboring her own. Selina was still thinking, "I feel trapped, like a rat in a corner with no escape," she thought as she felt something coming closer to her; her eyes opened with tears and fear. She spins around with an open hand and slaps the thing she felt. Slowly the thing's shape turned to resemble a human's face.

Wynn's hair was messy after the blow, but her eyes glared at Selina. Selina quickly pressed her back against the lockers and lowered her hand, "I'm sorry," she let out softly. There was a long silence as Wynn scanned Selina's face; even though she was crying, Selina still had the guts to stare into her eyes. 

Wynn snorted at her bravery, "What's going...."

"Selina, there you are!" yelled a voice.

They turned to see Alvar running towards them; With a click of her tongue with annoyance, Wynn began walking away. "Wait, Wynn," said Alvar, "What you do to her?" 

Wynn stopped and turned to him, "Hey jackass, why don't you ask her!? She looked that way before I did anything," she glared at Selina, "See you soon...alone."

Alvar placed his hand on Selina's shoulder and said calmly, "What happened?"

Selina wiped her tears, "No, she didn't do anything," she glanced towards the hallway after Wynn, "If she did do something, it would only be because I slapped her out of nowhere. I was in my thoughts and didn't notice her."

Alvar sighed in relief and placed his hand on her back to motion her to walk, "Come on, you're late, " he told her, "Mrs. Turner was worried and sent me out to find you," Selina turned to Alvar. Who laughed a little, "Yeah, some of the classmates told her what happened yesterday. They feared for your safety; I don't blame them if I have to be honest." 

Selina nodded in agreement; she still felt terrible about slapping Wynn as she headed into class with Alvar.

– – – – – – – – – –

The lunch bell rang, and all the students busted out into the hallways. Selina tapped Alvar on the shoulder, "I'm going to the old room; I've brought my lunch," she told him as he rubbed her head. "Okay, I'll meet you there when someone sneaks me a meal," he whispered as he tried to blend in with some classmates.

 Selina giggled softly, "No way, you can hide with hair like that," she said softly.

She headed into the old room, pitch-black, but she saw the window's outline peering out the corner of the drapes. Using the small light, she guided herself slowly to the window. As she got closer, she quickened her pace, and when she did, she tripped over something and landed on something warm. "Ow," Selina said. 

"Ow, indeed," a deep and calming voice came below her.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know someone else was here," she said as she tried to get off the guy. She pauses as she sees his golden eyes shine in the dark; he starts to raise the upper half of his body, and while he does this, Selina falls backward between his legs. He softened her fall by grabbing one of her arms, "Tha...Thank you," she said softly. The guy pulls his side of the drapes so the light can shine through.