Chapter 2 - The Ball

Present Day

I looked at the rich man in front of me. I'd been keeping fairly inconspicuous here on Canto Bight. The handsome, kind looking man I was dancing with, however, was anything but inconspicuous. His tux was black and pristine, his long hair pulled into a neat bun, and his tall frame meant I actually looked up at him, for once.

And here I was, in an attention grabbing long, extravagant, blood red dress. It hung over my chest in a lazy u shape, with three thin straps on each arm that actually didn't hold anything up, but rather, hung loosely over my shoulders. It cinched at my waist and held tightly to my frame. It only loosened a little as it fell down to my ankles, but a large slits half way up the side of both of my thighs improved my movability. Even in my heels, it kissed the ground behind me. I loved the way red looked on my blue skin. Mama said it contrasted too much, but she didn't know anything about style. And Lolly had strong opinions about what looked good on me. I had to admit, she'd done well.

My arms were wrapped around his shoulders, his hands around my waist, as we danced to the music. Actually, I was having a lovely time. Alcohol buzzed in veins, and his jokes were funny. There were a lot of people, but not so much that I felt uncomfortable.

Then I felt him.

"Jabe, what is this ball for?" I asked, cursing myself for not asking sooner.

"The First Order," he said, sounding a little surprised. "Haven't you noticed all the officers?"

Of course I had, but First Order officers were everywhere these days. The crowd rustled near the entrance, and I saw the tall, cloaked figure enter the room, his black mask scanning the crowd.

This is a waste of time. Fuck appearances.

He was about to turn back, but for reasons I can't explain, I reached out to him. I pushed calm gently into his body. I'd gotten good at it over the years, and knew it would work, even on him. He froze, and I felt the energy change in the ballroom. My heart was beating through my chest.

I let go of my date, telling him I'd be right back. Slowly, not understanding what the hell I was doing, I walked toward him. His mask turned deliberately, finally stopping when he caught sight of me. We were still far away from each other, but with the added height of my heels, I stocked over most of the crowd. He didn't need heels to do so.

She's alive, he thought, relief flooding his emotions.  The realization took me off guard—I assumed he wanted me dead. I knew he was immersed in the dark. I'd felt it that night at the temple, and I could feel it now.

I stopped two meters in front of him, and smiled.

"Kylo Ren," I said, bowing my head deeply. I heard him inhale sharply. "I am happy to see you again." I felt him try to shift through my mind, and I let him. I was happy to see him, despite myself, and I hoped he saw that there was no deception behind my words.

"Don't ever use the force on me again, Rjea."  I felt myself soften despite his harsh tone, the nickname I couldn't forget. He had never called me it out loud before, only in his thoughts. I knew the history behind it, however. The mythical goddess of peace and war.

I watched him walk to the bar and push his mask up just far enough to down a drink. Just enough for me to see the dark locks of hair. A jolt ran through me at the sight, remembering his face all over again.

I felt Jabe approaching me. "Is that... a friend of yours?" He said behind my back. I turned to him.

"We've met before," I murmured. I could feel his fear, his apprehension.