Chapter 12 - Ren-skywalker-solo-organa-amidala

Kylo did amazing in front of the senate. I stood tall to his right and one step back, and his mother did the same on the left. Unknown to us at the time, the New Republic broadcasted it live. Not just the speech, but the following debates. By the time we were leaving the senate building, people were swarming.

Angry people, sad people, excited people, curious people. I gripped Kylo's arm under our cloaks to guide me as I closed my eyes. Reassurance, confidence and hope shot out from me and smothered every single person in the plaza. I waited and did it again, and again, until finally, the people had calmed. They had light conversation as our entire party walked through, three Knights ahead of Kylo and I, three Knights behind Leia and Holdo.

I knew my influence wouldn't last if the person truly despised what we'd done today, and it would be gone the moment I was out of view, regardless. But that's okay. It gets us off planet. However, the crowd really hadn't been an angry one. The further we walked, the more I realized this. Some people, sure. But the general emotion from the crowd was mostly one of surprise, even some cautious hope.

To my own surprise, when we got to the private space port, I looked over at the crowd, and they cheered. With a hesitant smile, I waved, taken aback. The roar from the crowd was shocking, I had to resist the urge to drop my jaw. Kylo walked over to me and peered over as well. The crowd went absolutely insane, things were thrown into the air, hats and confetti, people were calling our names, hugging their neighbors. Kylo was just as shocked as me. He had worn his mask leaving the senate, but now he took it off. The crowd really couldn't get any more excited, but they were pleased by his action. Some of them saw it as their Emperor trusting them, I felt. Some saw it as him being human, not a god, like force users are sometimes seen. Others were just thrilled to see his face—mostly women, I noticed, tickled. I knew the feeling.

I pulled back, overwhelmed, and more than a little confused. I was hoping to earn the public's trust, but I wasn't expecting it to be given to me. Perhaps Hosnian Prime was just a friendly place.

I boarded the shuttle; Leia rode with us as we took her back to Alderaan. A golden protocol droid came up to me in the cockpit.

"Mistress Ren," I jerked my head at him. Who told this protocol droid to even call me that? Kylo chuckled, feeling humor toward his mother. She told her droid to call me Mistress Ren? Gods. The woman has a sense of humor. I hadn't seen that coming.

"The Queen wants you to see this." He turned something on and the large holo screen activated.

It was a newscast of one of the main holo news stations.

"Kylo Ren, son of Queen Leia of Alderaan, and Rjea, the daughter of the Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn, have been chosen," chosen? "To take the throne as Galactic Emperor and Empress. They defeated the Supreme Leader and have already protected our galaxy from unknown alien invaders." What is this nonsense? It flashed to a recording of Kylo, with his mother and me by his side. Kylo in black, and two, white clad women by his side. The image was fascinating to me, and I leaned in, absorbed in the way we looked. Though Kylo looked stern and confident, his mother and I looked supportive and strong, as if we all balanced each other out. To my pleasure, they even made me look pretty good.

"I understand the difficult times our galaxy has undergone in the last 50 years. And I know how the First Order—and myself—are perceived, and for good reason. But today we enter a new era. The galaxy is our empire. Yours, and mine.

"Therefore Rjea and I are prepared to accept the title of Emperor and Empress. And it is our hope that we will earn the loyalty of you, unlike our last Emperor. The senate will undergo changes, but will not be eliminated. We have spent too much time fighting. It is time we rebuild. It is time to end the constant galactic wars. It is time for what Palpatine began 45 years ago to come to an end. Talk to your senators. Elect your leaders. And trust us, until we prove you cannot." I knew exactly how the galaxy would see this. The two dueling powers, laying down their weapons for the good of the people. I hoped it would prove true.