Chapter 8 - Are You Ready?

We returned to Starkiller base, and I began observing the command hanger. While it was in pretty good standing, it wasn't perfect. I knew I needed sleep. But I also knew that sleep would not come.

Lieutenant Jack approached me.

"Oh, hello Lieutenant. What are you doing on Starkiller?"

"I believe I'm here to help you, ma'am." I hadn't realized I had an assistant. Someone above us must have decided we get shit done together, I guess.

"Oh, wonderful." I shifted so we were both looking at the command hanger, side by side. I sighed.

"I believe we have a similar issue with the two squads of TIEs over there as we did on the Finalizer. They've been started more recently but they haven't been flown. Apparently they're not used in scheduled patrols like the rest of the fleet. I'd like to have them fully looked over and then flown today. It seems inventory is taken better care of here. What do you think?"

"I think I agree that we'll have less work here. But I noticed yesterday the TIE pilots for this unit haven't been in here in four weeks."

"What?" I asked, surprised. "What have they been doing?" Pilots were expected to run regular flights in their ships.

"I don't know, Captain."

I took a breath. Absolutely ridiculous. It was as if there was so much happening on this base that no one kept track of the minute details. Time to take something from Kylo's book.

"Go to Hux. Tell him I want a fire drill. I want to see how fast those pilots will get these two squads in the air. If he has objections, tell him I promise there will be results. Feel free to direct his irritation toward me," I added with a rueful grin.

"Yes, Captain." He left.

I looked up at the Command Center when I felt Hux's rage. But a minute later, the alarm rang.

I turned and waited. Eight fucking minutes after the alarm sounded, the pilots poured in. I swallowed my displeasure. They should be off the ground by now, and they're just arriving.

It took them 15 more minutes to all get in the air. I lifted my hand, and the TIEs began to land again. I stood in front of them, my hands behind my back. They shuffled out and stood in front of me.

"I am Captain Rjea. Now, what the fuck was that?"

"Ma'am?" one asked, confused.

"No, I don't want to hear any of you speak." They shuffled, but remained quiet. I wasn't going to belittle them, but they would learn that they are no longer allowed to fuck around.

"Do you know how long it took you to get here? Eight fucking minutes. Starkiller could have been destroyed completely in that eight minutes, and you with it."

"Ma'am--"

"I said silence," I said, the threat barely hidden. They stiffened.

"You will have another drill every day, twice a day, until you guys are up to standard. This is for your own safety as much as the rest of the base. And for the love of the gods, who was it in CT2?" One of them stepped forward.

"Do you know how to land, pilot?" He had dropped his ship so fast, I'm surprised nothing cracked.

"Don't answer that. I'm going to assume you do. You'll help the mechanics clean and work on the engines today.

"And I suggest all of you get more familiar with the engineers working on your ships. They're your ships. You're responsible for them, and at the end of the day, you're the only one who really needs your ship to perform properly. Dismissed."