Chapter 6 - Decisions are for People Who's Lives are Put Together

Chapter Song: Primadonna by MARINA

(I chose this song because I picture Evelyn dramatically singing and dancing to this while getting ready for her date.)

                                          Evelyn
I don't know what to wear.

Michael texted me and told me to meet him at the local flower shop. He said that he'd 'meet me in the front but we'd only be able to hang out for about five minutes.'

I'm a little bit confused, but intrigued.

So, essentially, I have to choose an outfit that is simple, but not too simple where it looks like I didn't try. But it can't be too dressy or over the top because this isn't a date and I'm only meeting with him for a few minutes.

Screw it, I'll just wear sweats.

~~~

I am currently wearing jean shorts and ruffled black t-shirt with daisies on it. So, not exactly sweats.

Michael told me to meet at 2 o'clock, but it's 2:05 and he's not here. Maybe he's late. That's okay, it happens to the best of us. Or maybe he's inside? I make the decision to look through the storefront window and it's the best decision I've ever made.

Michael, wearing a green apron and disheveled hair, is standing next to a man who is admiring a bouquet of roses.

No way.

Michael works here? That's awesome. I am pleasantly surprised, I wouldn't have pegged him for the working in a flower shop kind of guy.

I think it's adorable.

The customer pays for his flowers and walks out the door. Michael tilts his head back and sighs, a small smile on his face. I decide to look away before he catches me and text him saying I'm outside.

Me: Hey Batman
Me: I'm outside the shop
Batman 🦇:...
Batman 🦇: I'm so sorry I'm late. I'll be right there

Sure enough, less than twenty seconds later I hear the bell ring and Michael walks out. Somehow, he looks even more disheveled than he was a few minutes ago.

He looks at me surprised and says, "You showed up."

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?"

"Never mind. I wanted to take a little bit more time to do this properly, but I only have," he checked his watch. "Two minutes.

"I like you. I think you're really kind and," he stopped, shaking his head. "Honestly, I have no idea why you talk to me. It doesn't make sense. But I, uh, I like it when you talk to me. And I would like to take you out on a date. If that's okay with you."

I smiled at him, "I'd love to go on a date with you."

"Really?"

"Yes," I laughed. "Really."

He sighed, running his left hand through his hair and relaxing a little bit. I hadn't realized how tense he was until now.

"Here." He moved his right hand from behind his back and held out a cluster of beautiful, vibrant flowers for me to take. It was purplish blue and had a little bit of yellow on it. There was a little yellow ribbon tied around the stem in the shape of a cute bow.

"They're irises. They represent wisdom, cherished friendship, and hope. They're nicknamed 'the dancing spirit.' And they," he looked down. "They remind me of you."

I'm speechless. I've never been speechless, but I'm speechless.

"I-" I can't even come up with the words to describe how I feel, what I want to say.