Chapter 2.1

The royal compartment remained closed even after landing at Dansestari, so Sabrina decided to go on to her apartment, resolving to get out of political life for a while and concentrate on her brother's wedding. Scotty and Aurora had errands to run in the capital, so they agreed to meet later and go to One Tree, the oldest and largest of the Tree Cities. At the foot of the ship's ramp, Sabrina gave Thad and Ranja hugs and formal dismissals. "Go have fun," she said. "I'll see you in two weeks, and we'll see if they've got another miracle for us to pull off."

"Are you sure you don't need help unpacking?" Ranja asked.

"No. Go on and see that fiancé of yours!" Sabrina ordered, smiling. She waved to them as she walked off, relieved to be on her own for a little while. They had landed within the walls of Dansestari—one of the advantages of traveling with the Queen—so she was able to walk to the ancient building housing her apartment with no trouble, carrying only her rucksack. Her luggage would be sent along later, but she didn't expect to need much from it.

The door swung open in response to her palmprint, and she smiled as she breathed in the familiar air of her apartment, noting with approval that the scent of the cat's litter box was barely perceptible. "Tristan!" she called out.

A piercing yowl answered her, and the flame-point Himalayan came running, rubbing himself almost frantically against her legs and twining around her ankles. She dropped her rucksack and bent to pet him, which was difficult since he refused to stand still. When he nipped at her finger, she stood back up and said, "A fine welcome. Well, you're not going to have time to snub me, sweetie. I'm off again, and I expect you'll make me pay for that when I get home!"

The door chimed, and Sabrina barely had time to call, "Enter!" before it swung open and her namesake Marie burst in. "Sabrina! You're finally home!"

She and Sabrina embraced each other with enthusiasm. Marie was one of Mara's younger daughters, and Sabrina had adopted her as a sort of little sister. "I missed you!" Sabrina said. "And I brought you a present, but it's back with my luggage. Are you going to the wedding?"

"Not until next week," Marie said. "I have lessons." She pouted prettily.

Sabrina shook her head fondly. Marie's penchant for playing truant was famous within the family. "You'll need those someday," she predicted.

"If I study hard, someday can I come with you and watch you be an ambassador?" Marie asked.

"Of course. I think that would be excellent training for whatever you end up doing," Sabrina said. "I want to catch up with you, Marie, but I'm in a hurry—if I don't show up on time, Scotty will come after me, and you know how he and Tristan dislike each other!"

Marie giggled. 'Tristan dislikes everybody, except you and me, of course!"

Sabrina watched as her cat went over to Marie and meowed pathetically. "Traitor," she told him.

"He's just used to me feeding him," Marie said. "Shall I help you pack, Sabrina? The Trees are kind of cold this time of year."

"I'd appreciate the help. We can talk while we work. How has my brat been? Bitten anybody?"

"Nope, though he did scratch Malick the other day. He lets Seuréa pull on his tail, though!" Marie said.

"I'm sure Malick deserved to be scratched," Sabrina said. Malick was Marie's closest agemate among her siblings, but they were nothing alike. "And little Seuréa's so sweet that she can wrap anybody around her little finger. Well, at least he hasn't been lonely!"

"Oh, no!" Marie said. "I've been here every day. Mother even let me sleep here once a week if I was good." She scratched Tristan's chin and said, "Does he ever try to sleep on your face?"