Chapter 10.1

"Stecklan!" Ford growled, turning around on the transport platform as soon as he was fully materialized. "I know I scanned both ships before we left!"

Stecklan shrugged, looking warily around. Then he looked at Sabrina. "Sorry to have misled you, ma'am. But I thought you might have guessed."

"I guessed you'd try. I didn't think Ford would let you succeed."

Asnefer cleared her throat, and Sabrina realized they were being rude. "Oh, I apologize. High Wayship, permission to come aboard?"

"Granted," Shahina said. "I regret we must meet again under these circumstances. I will take your little ship in tow so that you can retrieve your belongings later."

"Thank you," Sabrina said. "High Tirqwin, it's good to see you again. I hope you have been well?"

She could feel Ford rolling his eyes beside her as Asnefer replied, "Yes. The Realm has been quiet lately, until this. I might have known the two of you would be involved. As for your companion—"

"Bodyguard," Sabrina said.

"Really?" Asnefer raised one delicate eyebrow. "I would have guessed Intelligence. Either way, he will learn nothing aboard Shahina, or at the facility where I am directed to deliver you. Either he will agree not to interfere with us, or I will sedate him until our business is finished."

"Now wait a minute—" Sabrina protested.

Stecklan interrupted her. "I was assigned as bodyguard to the prince and Lady Sabrina, High Tirqwin. I am interested in their personal safety and no more. I will not interfere with you unless you attempt to harm one of them."

"I have no interest in doing so," Asnefer said. "Excellent. I see we are all prepared to be reasonable."

Actually, Sabrina thought Stecklan looked alarmingly bland, Ford looked mutinous, and she probably looked worried. Reasonable was not what any of them was feeling at the moment. She spoke up before Ford could shatter Asnefer's complacency. "I don't see that we have much choice."

Asnefer gave her a sharp look. "You have taught me, Lady Sabrina, that you always have a choice—perhaps especially ones I do not see in advance."

Sabrina smiled weakly and tried for diplomacy again. "I hoped all might be forgiven, if not forgotten, by now."

"Forgiveness is irrelevant. I merely warn you that I will not make the mistake of underestimating you again."

Sabrina shivered; Asnefer's words and tone were eerily reminiscent of Malvarak's.

Ford said, "High Tirqwin, thank you in advance for making this journey as comfortable as possible for us. We are all tired, and would like somewhere to rest, if that's possible."

"Certainly. I have prepared quarters for you, but I was not expecting a third person."

"That is not necessary," Stecklan said. "I will remain with either the prince or Lady Sabrina at all times."

"Very well," Asnefer said. "Follow me."

——————————

When they were alone, Ford said, "I'm thinking this is a good sign. Asnefer knows you; she won't be so eager to hand you to the executioners."

"I remind you that Shahina hears every word we say," Sabrina said. "And Asnefer knows me just enough to really dislike me."

"What's going on?" Stecklan demanded. "Why were we summoned by the Wayfarers?"

"We have been summoned. You stowed away!" Ford retorted. "Who gave you the authority—"

"Let's not go into that now," Sabrina interrupted. "It's not important at the moment. Stecklan, we also can't go into why we've been summoned. We need to save our testimony for the Board or Committee or whatever it is. But I...believe it is a legitimate summons."