Chapter 2.2

He meant it literally. Sabrina climbed a series of ramp-like structures spiraling around the circumference of the tallest Tree, whose name, Taymorill told her, was Aigelbraith. Taymorill remained on the last platform while Sabrina made the last climb, an almost vertical journey with only bark and branches for handholds. Her arms ached by the time she reached the highest branch that would hold her and settled in against the trunk.

The view was breathtaking. Up this high the air was crisp, and the leaves rustled gently in the wake of the constant breeze. She could not hear any sign of the settlement beneath her; it was almost as if she were alone in the world. Shading her eyes with a hand, she could see the sea sparkling in the distance, almost dazzling in the unfiltered sunlight.

She closed her eyes and listened for a moment. The leaves whispered around her, as if they had secrets they were not quite ready to share. Taymorill had instructed her to try to empty her mind, so she tried to clear out her thoughts and be still. It didn't take her long to wonder if that was an impossible task, as time passed and her perch began to be uncomfortable. Instead of thinking how lovely the air was or how soothing the leaves were, she began to think about how rough the bark was and that one of her feet was falling asleep. As failed attempts to achieve a clear mind piled up, she got frustrated. After a while, she climbed down. "Sorry," she told Taymorill. "I couldn't seem to do it."

"No one does on the first try," he said. "But you were only up there for an hour. Go back and try again. Instead of trying to completely clear your mind, choose one thing to focus on. Try to let that chase out all the other distractions."

Sabrina grimly shook out her arms and began the climb again.

——————————

Although she was frustrated at first, Sabrina began to realize that the process was important even if she couldn't reach the desired result. It was something of a shock to her goal-oriented mind, she thought ruefully. It had never occurred to her before that she measured her life in terms of what she accomplished, rather than in how she lived it. Everything in Sabrina's training got in her way when she tried to let go and simply be in the moment.

"Is this really necessary just to be in the wedding?" Sabrina asked Taymorill on the fourth day. "I mean, I can see the value of it, and I'd like to continue regardless, but I'm curious as to why it's required of the whole wedding party."

"It's true that it's more necessary for those who are marrying," Taymorill said. "But it is also important that those closest to them understand themselves, so that they understand why they are supporting this bonding. Too many marriages are made for unimportant reasons. Our ancestors developed this journey as a way to prevent that. It is not enough to be in love, or to have sound logical reasons to marry. Sometimes societal pressures can be difficult to resist. But if everyone involved goes through the journey and understands why they have come to this place for this ceremony, they can sometimes learn things that surprise them. Sometimes they have no bearing on the wedding; other times they are crucial to it. About three of every ten couples who come here leave unmarried."

Sabrina frowned. "So you're saying it's possible that I, or one of the other participants, could have some epiphany that would stop the wedding?"

"It is possible. I don't think it's likely in this case. Scotty and Aurora have learned what they expect from each other and themselves in this marriage. That will change over the course of their marriage, naturally, but their roots are sound. Your task is to discover what you expect from their marriage and what is expected of you. This will guide you to become a help to them and not a potential hindrance. A wedding is between two people, but a marriage extends beyond that. Others, particularly family, can contribute greatly to its success or failure."