Chapter 10: Diversions

Jerton IV was a revelation for Sabrina. Although she lived comfortably on Praxatillus, she had never indulged in conspicuous consumption. She sometimes bought expensive clothes because they were necessary to her activities as an ambassador and a minor member of the royal family; she made improvements to her apartments in Dansestari and the beach house at Fibräaé as ideas struck her; she gave thoughtful but not lavish gifts to her family and friends on holidays that called for them. She gave to charities and had toyed with setting up her own foundation, but Praxatillus had made huge strides in eradicating poverty in the nearly hundred years since the Xoentrol War had ended, and she judged there was no real need. She never spent money recklessly.

She had also never been clothes shopping with Ford.

"Exactly how many evening gowns do you think I need? I don't have this many at home," she said in English, exasperated as Ford handed her another armful of fabric.

"We'll be going to at least two parties a night, most nights," he replied. "And you can't wear the same dress to both. Relax. You won't need as much daywear."

"Because I'll be asleep during the day, at that rate," she grumbled, closing the fitting room door between them. "It's not like I can even take these home. I could never wear any of this to court!"

Ford laughed. "Oh, I can just see Aunt Imari's face now!"

"I shudder to think. And even Mara would have something to say about this one. Honestly, Ford! It's transparent!"

"Hence the decorative underwear."

"No."

"It's the height of fashion. The sales assistant assured me it's the new thing this solar cycle."

"Still no. Even as an heiress, I'm still allowed to exercise some personal taste. And public nudity is not on my list."

"Disappointing."

"I've decided to be an old-fashioned heiress," Sabrina informed him, stepping out in a reasonably modest midnight blue gown. "I like this one."

"That one you could wear at home. Come on, pick three others and let's go. We have a lot left to do. Shoes and jewelry, to begin with."

"My feet hurt already," Sabrina sighed.

——————————-

It was about eight hours later that they finally met in their luxurious hotel room, having split up after lunch so that Ford could see about buying an appropriate ship and Sabrina could do some toiletries shopping. He had arrived considerably earlier, and he greeted her with relief. "I thought I was going to have to go looking for you. Did you get lost?"

"Briefly, and serendipitously," she replied. "I found an absolutely lovely perfume shop. I bought some for Marie too."

"Gifts for my sister were not included in your assignment," Ford said, mock seriously. "I'm going to make you reimburse me for that."

Sabrina snorted. "A tiny little bottle of perfume is what you're going to quibble over, after what you spent at that jewelry store? I have to remind you, you're a taxpaying citizen now."

"This isn't Bathiran money," Ford replied. "I've been up to no good quite successfully in my misspent youth offworld. Doesn't matter if we spend it all now, since I have to give that up."

"Your misspent youth? Not on my account. Could be fun."

"You have an odd idea of what 'misspent' means." He got up from the divan he had been lounging on. "Put something daring on, and let's go to dinner."

———————————-

They spent another day on Jerton, waiting for alterations to be finished on clothes for them both and picking up various items, such as luggage, that they had neglected on the first day. Then Ford escorted her to the sporty little coupe he had bought for their trip.