Chapter 16: Aftermath

"They're going!" Sastarn yelled, fingers flying over the console before Ricar could give an order in response. Space blurred and melted away outside the viewscreen as they entered hyperspace for a bare instant.

From their new position, they saw that the wreckage was now in tiny, unrecognizable pieces, flying in all directions. Ricar swore. Then he turned to Scotty, sobering.

"They might have been there. There might have been a chance," Scotty said, his voice flat.

"There was no chance, Lieutenant. You know that."

"There sure as hell isn't now." Scotty tried to steady his voice.

The com beeped. "Lieutenant," Danask's voice said. "I need you in the infirmary."

Scotty didn't even ask why; he just got up and left the cockpit, unable to bear the sight of where his sister had died. He made his way down the corridor without conscious thought, half-blinded by tears. When a pair of hands landed on his shoulders, he didn't look up to see who they belonged to. "Leave me alone," he muttered thickly.

"Lieutenant," Stecklan said, steering him into the infirmary. "Look."

Scotty blinked and looked at the figures on the bed, tightly entwined and covered with a light frost. Then he blinked again. "How—"

Danask was working the biobed controls frantically, but Bendei looked up as he finished fixing breath masks over their faces. "They just appeared out of nowhere."

"In the nick of time," Amoret added. "Another few seconds would have been too late."

Scotty was still staring at his sister and Ford, a little afraid to believe his eyes. Then he grinned. "Mara," he said on a long sigh. "She must have been able to find them."

"Then I wish she'd sent them to Praxatillus," Danask said irritably. "We aren't equipped for this. I don't know if I can—"

"Look!" Bendei exclaimed.

All activity stopped as they stared at Sabrina and Ford. The frost was evaporating; their skins were losing their bluish hue. As they watched in amazement, all traces of their ordeal vanished, leaving them in a light slumber, breathing easily.

"Um," was all Danask could manage.

"Her Majesty?" Stecklan asked.

Scotty swallowed. "I've never seen her do it long-distance before. But...it must have been her."

———————————

Remember, my children. Remember.

They had forgotten. The long millennia had buried the warnings and the knowledge.

But the Great Crystal remembered everything.

——————————-

She was warm and safe. Relief washed over her; dying had been easier than she expected. She felt better than she could remember in a long time. The bed was comfortable, and she could feel Ford lying beside her, his breath tickling her cheek. She was content.

My child, wake.

Sabrina frowned. Surely in the afterlife she could be allowed to sleep in? What was there for her to do here? Her work, her duties had been left behind in the other world.

Please, child. I have so little time.

She blinked. She was in a large, dark room. The walls looked like they were hewn from rock. "Who are you?"

You know who I am.

"If you're who I think you are, then I'm not one of your children. Not even remotely."

You are bonded to one of my children. Miah smiled gently and tilted her head, making her long silvery hair fall in a shimmering wave. You are not what I expected. But perhaps none of my children could have served this purpose, after all.

"Why am I seeing you in the afterlife? Where are my parents?"

This is not the afterlife. At least, not your afterlife.

Sabrina looked around, suddenly realizing where she was: the Guardian's room at Giandrah, millennia before Mara had furnished it. She began to have a sinking feeling. "This is...this is actually happening. I'm still alive?"

Yes. The Crystal was able to find you, at almost the last possible moment. It followed your last conscious command—as well as it could. You were too weak to survive the seconds it would have taken to transport you back to Praxatillus, so it found the nearest Miahn consciousness and took you to it.

"And...why am I hallucinating you?"

I have come to you through the Crystal's memory. I am a guide, and a warning.

"Why me? Why not Ford?"

Miah smiled again. When I imprinted on the Great Crystal, as you call it, it took on certain characteristics. It was not my intention to have it answer only to my daughters, but so it became. Niavar can access it, draw upon its memory and energy, but it cannot direct him any more than he can direct it, which is very little. However, it senses you now through your link with him, and it can direct you. As you can direct it.

"But I am human. I'm not crystal-sensitive—at least, not naturally."

You have changed more than you know. And that change will continue. I am afraid it may be difficult—possibly even dangerous. But it cannot be stopped now. I am sorry for that; I assumed it would be one of my daughters who confronted this threat and triggered this action by the Crystal.

"You're...saying this was...programmed in?"

In case the Trsai ever returned. Yes. When I realized I was dying, I put part of my consciousness into the Heart of the Trees, to lie dormant until one of my children encountered an enemy with certain characteristics I believed would herald the return of the Trsai. My instructions were to reach out and advise whichever of my children was present at the encounter.

"And you think the Kyan are them?"

Perhaps their descendants. There are many disturbing similarities.

"And...what do you expect me—us—to do?"

I will guide you. You and Niavar will become my hands in the physical world. You will assist my daughter Maratobia and drive these invaders once and for all from our home. Miah's expression darkened. It will be dangerous, possibly deadly. And I cannot give you a choice; the Crystal cannot undo what it has done. You are the ones chosen to make this sacrifice. I am sorry for it. But I hope you will prove worthy of the choice, and have the strength to save all my children.

Sabrina was silent for a moment, trying to absorb the implications of what Miah had said. Then she began to laugh, somewhat bitterly. "Drafted by the Guardian again!"

Not precisely. It is the Great Crystal that demands your service now. You will be its champion, you and your bondmate: Champions of the Crystal, chosen to defend it at all costs, above any oaths you have sworn and any ties you hold dear.

"I can't say I like the sound of that. No one is going to believe me when I tell them this, least of all Mara!"

Maratobia and Niavar will have this memory when they wake. I can linger no longer, my child. Be brave, and endure. I will be at hand to guide you when you need me.

"Wait—" Sabrina cried. She blinked, and found herself in bed again, staring into Ford's eyes. He looked as shellshocked as she felt.

"Rina!" came Scotty's voice from nearby.

Sabrina closed her eyes again, buried her face in Ford's shoulder, and began to weep.