Chapter 11.1

Ford said, "Probably a good idea. I don't think this is what we should be focused on right now. How about this: we both give it some thought in our spare time when we're not dodging enemy fire, and when this assignment is over, I'll ask you properly, and you can tell me to go to hell any way you like."

Sabrina hesitated, then dropped back into her seat with a sigh. "I'm hardly likely to do that."

"You've given me no indication you'll do anything else!" Ford retorted. "You refuse to believe that I could possibly want to marry you. You're not mercenary enough to be tempted by the crown jewels. You're insulted by the idea that it might be the most convenient and easiest solution to our problem. I'm afraid to even point out that becoming Princess of Bathir would solve one of your long-standing complaints: being left out of Miahn society and having no clear position. The title, worthless as it might be otherwise, could actually benefit your diplomatic career by putting you on a more even footing with representatives of other societies with vestiges of archaic governmental systems." He said the last part as if it were a direct quote. Sabrina had no doubt it was from her.

"I take it, then, you have no objection to my pursuing my career, even though you plan to delegate all your duties to me?"

"You'll get through them much more expeditiously than I ever could. No, I don't object. But I want it made clear that it's to be a partnership. I reserve the right to come with you if I think I should. Just as I grant you the right to come with me on Homeworld's assignments."

"Fair enough."

"Can it be that I've hit on the one thing that will change your mind?" Ford asked sarcastically. "Your career?"

"Well, you can't deny that my job on Meskath would have been ten times easier if people had to call me 'your royal highness.'"

"Actually, just 'your highness.' The royal part is reserved for people born into it."

"I stand corrected. Having a royal highness in tow will also add to my cachet. It might just possibly be worth it."

"Now you're just being a brat."

"Well, how can I help it if you're going to be so ridiculous? You don't have to offer me inducements, Ford. I can judge the benefits and drawbacks as well as you."

"So I should just shut up and let you get on with deciding how bad a bargain I am?"

"No. However, what I would like to hear from you is what you expect to get from it. Other than making the confession to Mara easier and having someone sit on your throne while you play hoopball. Oh, and making you more popular."

"Yes, let us not forget about the endless polls, since I care so much about them!" Ford said.

"Be serious. What do you expect from a wife?"

"I don't know that I've ever expected anything from a wife. From you, however, I expect what you've always given me: your support. Your help with political problems. Your companionship. The knowledge that if I'm in trouble, nothing in the universe will stop you from getting to me. The only things I expect marriage to change are that we'll be able to spend more time together, I'll be able to openly delegate to you, and you'll be able to at last redecorate that parlor you hate."

"Ah, another powerful incentive. And you forgot sex—or is that not among the things you expect?"

"Let's say rather that it's among my fondest hopes."

Sabrina snorted.

"Seriously. I'm quite prepared to marry you without ever having done more than kiss you, if that's how it has to be."