ch8 - more than friends?

~~~

~~~

It had been almost two full weeks since your short-lived library talk with Armin. Whenever you tried to speak with him after that it was all one-word answers and half-hearted smiles.

You hoped he wasn't still upset about the new friends you'd made. The other three of your closest friends had gotten over that once you'd been acting buddy buddy with them for a whole week. Jean and Eren were the ones who needed that extra convincing.

Armin never spoke about Pieck and the other Marleyans. You always thought he'd be above a stupid rivalry like that but maybe you'd been proven wrong.

He was too smart to be upset about somebody being Marleyan. You knew that. He always made an effort to be kind to everyone. You loved that about him. So why did he suddenly seem so gloomy?

You tried to cheer him up on numerous occasions but he was never himself. You talked to Jean about it, also telling him about Connie and Sasha's jealousy theory.

He agreed that it was plausible but unlikely for Armin. Once again, he brought his never-ending theory of this crush he thought Armin had on you.

Needless to say, the trip to Jean's basement that day wasn't much help. It just took you back to square one.

It did, however, get you thinking some more. Could it be possible Armin really did like you? The thought itself made your cheeks heat up.

You'd known him for so long. You knew his parents, his interests, his life, his habits, everything about him. How could he have kept that hidden from you?

You couldn't say that you'd never thought about him that way before. There were plenty of times where you wondered what it would be like to hold his hand, go on dates, to kiss him.

But you were sure that didn't mean anything. Everyone's thought things like that about friends, right? Right?

Then again, you never thought that way about Eren, Mikasa, or Jean.

You wouldn't dare tell anybody you've pictured yourself with Armin more than once. Not even Jean. With his relentless teasing and theorizing, you'd never hear the end of it.

Despite your occasional wandering thoughts, there was no way you liked Armin and it seemed impossible that he liked you. Besides, you felt something with Pieck.

Over the period that passed between your last sort of real talk with Armin and present day, you and her talked nearly every day. You were beginning to see something in her you missed entirely when you first met.