ch14 - everything changes

i forgot to mention this in the last chapter but thank you for 3k reads!!
~~~

i forgot to mention this in the last chapter but thank you for 3k reads!!~~~

~~~

After your surprise confession on the field, you took advantage of Armin's bewildered wide eyes and gaping mouth by speed walking away from the situation.

He called after you several times but your legs moved faster than your brain worked. You could think later, your only goal was to get to your car as quickly as possible.

Now that it was later, and you had to actually deal with your problems, you didn't like your chances.

You're my best friend.

You clutched your pillow to your chest and shut your eyes tightly. Every time his words replayed in your mind you cringed.

What the hell compelled you to say something as life-altering as that at the worst possible time? The bandaid was officially ripped off but you wanted to stick it right back on the moment you saw the baffled look on Armin's face.

You didn't want to go back to ignoring him, but it's not like you actually had a choice to.

In the aftermath of Pieck, the dinner at Eren and Mikasa's house completely slipped your mind. It did explain to you why Eren would put that forged note on your locker. You knew Jean loved to meddle, but Eren was too engrossed in his own issues to notice anyone else's. Chances were, he didn't want any tension tonight, and you just royally messed up his shot at it.

You couldn't just not go. Carla was cooking. You would never miss a meal made by that woman. Plus, the whole avoidance thing only made you more upset. You would settle this tonight.

Walking into the Jaegers' home with Jean was like a breath of fresh air. He walked ahead of you into the kitchen to say hello to everyone while your senses were filled with the familiar smell of Carla's cooking. It was enough to forget your troubles for a minute.

"Y/n." The sound of your name falling from Armin's mouth pulled you from your trance. You turned slowly, swallowing your fear of confrontation.

He was leaning against the doorframe. You hadn't even noticed him open the front door behind you. He cleared his throat after scanning you up and down. "Talk to me. Alone," he said seriously, taking your arm in his and guiding you to the piano room off of the main entrance.

There was something different in the way he looked at you then. Something that made you know something had changed.

And boy, were you right. Armin only gained enough confidence just to say your name. When you faced him, any trace of it was gone. He felt like the wind was knocked out of him. If he didn't have the doorframe to stabilize him, he would have fallen to his knees.