ten

𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝓲𝓴𝓪𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
10. the turning point

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did I miss something?" Elena asked us as we saw Caroline and Matt together in the school halls.

"They've been hanging out." 

"Hanging out or hanging out?" I ask, and Bonnie pushes me.

"Kind of weird, don't you think?" Elena continued as Caroline and Matt backed away into their classroom.

"She needs someone nice like him, as opposed to a homicidal vampire like Damon." Bonnie responded.

"How are you doing?" I ask her. "You know, with that information."

"I'm freaked out. Damon attacked me. I could be dead right now. But I'm also grateful."

"Hmm?"

"Really?"

"To Stefan. He saved my life and-" Bonnie paused before she asked, "Have you seen him?"

"Not since he told me he was leaving," Elena said as we moved to her locker, removing her scarf and throwing it and her bag in the locker. "For all I know, he's already gone."

"He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye," Bonnie told her.

"Yes, he would," Elena replied, retrieving her books from the locker. "He thinks he's protecting me. Clean break and all that."

"I don't know. The Stefan I knew definitely would, but who knows." I said to myself.

"So, what are you gonna do?" Bonnie asked Elena.

"What am I supposed to do?" Elena responded, closing her locker. "I've already begged him not to go. If I ask again, I'm being selfish. It is what it is."

"Well, maybe it's for the best." Bonnie finally says as we start to walk down the hallway again.

"What? Why?" Elena stops and looks at Bonnie.

"I mean, what kind of future could you have had with him, even if he stayed?"

Suddenly, a banner falls on us, the words "The Promise of your Future" written on it.

"Did you just...?"

"No, I swear." Bonnie shook her head.

Elena sighs and hits the banner out of her way, storming off to her class. I look at Bonnie, who shrugs, and I sigh, following Elena.

"Let's go."

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━

I was currently on the phone with Damon, the vampire compass in hand. Damon had called me while I was in math, informing me that the sheriff had stopped by his house, telling him about a body found, meaning another vampire was in town.

"What now asshole?" I ask.

"Just wait. I'll be there in a minute," Damon says through the phone.

"Can you hurry? I'm getting a bad feeling about this place." I said, looking up at the warehouse.

Suddenly, Damon appeared behind me, startling me with his sudden appearance.

"You can give me that," Damon told me, nodding to the compass. I hold out the compass, and he takes it.

"So, why did you need me to do this?" I asked.