fifteen

𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝓲𝓴𝓪𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
15. Miss Mystic Falls

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bonnie!" I called out, trying to catch up. "I heard you were back. I couldn't believe it, but here you are."

"Natalie, hey," Bonnie said, and I pulled her into a warm hug.

"I would ask how you're doing, but I know that's a silly question. I'm so glad you're back. Caroline's been trying to convince me to join the pageant, but I really don't want to."

"Did you tell her that?" Bonnie asked as we started to leave the building.

"Not really, but I know if I do, she'll get upset," I said, hugging her arm. "Please, help me. I'm begging you."

"Okay, we'll talk to her-"

"Bonnie!" We turned around to see Elena walking toward us.

"Hey," Bonnie greeted her, holding her belongings closer to her chest, and faced the doppelganger.

"Hey, I tried to grab you after class, but you'd already taken off. How are you? How's your family?" Elena asked, and I sighed.

"We're dealing, it's been hard," Bonnie shared with us, and I offered her a comforting side hug.

"Everyone here really missed you," Elena mentioned, adjusting her bag.

"Yeah, I just had so much to deal with after Grams' funeral, and honestly after you told me the tomb spell failed I just didn't really want to come back."

"I hope that you understand why I called. I wanted you to know before you came home." 

"I understand why. I just shouldn't-" Bonnie paused. "-know."

After a moment of silence, with all of us looking at each other, Elena finally spoke up, "I know it's been really hard"

"Bonnie! Bonnie! Thank god you're home!" Caroline interrupted, rushing over to give Bonnie a tight hug. "I know we talked every day, but I missed you."

I glanced at Elena, noticing the sadness in her expression, and it dawned on me that Bonnie and Elena hadn't been communicating this whole time.

"How are you doing?" Caroline asked Bonnie.

"Better. Better. You know, glad to be back and trying to keep myself busy." Bonnie replied.

"Well, I can help with that. Major wardrobe problem. You need to help me pick up the perfect dress for the Founders' court."

"The Founders' Court? Did I miss something?" Elena inquired, her face showing confusion.

"The Founders' court! You know, Miss Mystic Falls. They announced it today and you and I are both on it." Caroline reminded her.

"Oh my god! We signed up for that so long ago. I completely forgot."

"So, are you dropping out then?" Caroline asked, seeming hopeful.

"I can't," Elena responded, glancing at Bonnie.

"No?"

"Her mom was the one who wanted her to participate, remember?" I chimed in, explaining it to Caroline as a look of realization crossed her face. "But if it makes you feel any better, I am."

Caroline's eyes widened as she looked at me. 

"What?!" she exclaimed, and I winced at her reaction while Bonnie let out a laugh.