seventeen

𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝓲𝓴𝓪𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
17. founder's day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Founder's Day, and the floats were parading. Bonnie and I had reluctantly agreed to attend together, showing our support for our best friend, Miss Mystic Falls. In other words, Caroline told us we had to be there, and Caroline had guilt-tripped us into coming after I dropped out, and now we found ourselves cheering as the floats approached.

"Let's give a big hand to the Mystic Fall's high school Marching Band!" announced Carol Lockwood, the commentator.

The marching band and cheerleaders paraded by, eliciting applause and cheers from the crowd.

"And for a little local history, Mr. Saltzman's students have recreated Virginia's Battle of Willow Creek." Mrs. Lockwood informed the spectators.

The float depicting the battle arrived in the street with Jeremy and Tyler on it. They playfully waved to the crowd and pretended to shoot at each other. Bonnie and I laughed, cheering loudly.

"Go, Tyler!" I shouted, waving at him, which earned a chuckle from him.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our stunning Miss Mystic Falls Court and their handsome escorts." Mrs. Lockwood announced.

Elena, Stefan, Caroline, Matt, and the rest of the Mystic Falls Court and their escorts were on the float. They laughed and waved to the crowd.

"This is Caroline Forbes, Miss Mystic Falls. Aren't they beautiful?" Mrs. Lockwood complimented.

"Yeah, she is," Bonnie shouted, and we cheered even louder.

Spotting Elena with Stefan on the float, we waved at her. She smiled and waved back, but Damon stepped in front of us, smiling and waving at Elena. She rolled her eyes and looked away, focusing on Stefan and the rest of the crowd. Damon turned around and noticed Bonnie and me behind him.

"What do you want?" Bonnie asked him, clearly unimpressed.

"Just watching the parade," Damon replied casually.

"Come on, Natalie. Let's find somewhere else to watch." Bonnie suggested, ready to move away.

"Where are you going?" Damon stopped us.

"Away from you," Bonnie retorted, not mincing her words.

"I wanna say something to you," Damon stated, and Bonnie rolled her eyes.

"Just leave me alone," Bonnie snapped, clearly frustrated.

"Thank you. The device that Emily spelled could have killed me. I don't take what you did lightly, so...thank you." Damon expressed sincerely.

"I did it for Elena," Bonnie replied, taken aback by Damon's unexpected gratitude.

"I know that, but I'm still very grateful. And...I owe you." Damon said, briefly looking at me before turning his attention back to Bonnie. "Enjoy the parade."

I glanced at Bonnie and noticed the guilt on her face. Before Damon could leave, I decided to intervene. Shit!

"Hey, Damon. You should go home early tonight." I suggested, sensing Bonnie's gaze on us.

"Why?" Damon inquired, curious about my request.

"I'll tell you when I get there. It's really important." I lied, hoping to pique his interest.

Damon nodded in agreement before leaving.

"You know?" Bonnie asked me, her voice filled with curiosity.