Chapter 14: TS-19 Pt1

"Daryl, you cover the back. Hello? Hello? Watch those doors. Watch for walkers" Shane says "Hello?"Rick asks they hear a gun cock "Anybody infected?"Jenner asks "One of our group was. He didn't make it" Rick answers "Why are you here? What do you want?" Jenner says getting a good look at everyone. His eyes are searching more for experiment D3L1LAH before his sight finally lands on her.

Delilah is standing close to Daryl with Carl still being held protectively in her arms. Daryl is still grasping her upper arm with one hand and eyeing the new area with a hunter's eye.

"A chance" Rick says simply "That's asking an awful lot these days" Jenner comments "I know" Rick says gravely "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission" Jenner announces "We can do that" Rick agrees "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed" Jenner orders "Vi, seal the main entrance, kill the power up here" Jenner says to the computer.

"Rick Grimes" Rick introduces "Dr. Edwin Jenner" Jenner states "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Rick asks "There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough. Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you" Jenner says pointing at Daryl everyone let's out chuckles. Carl releases his death grip on Delilah's waist and starts to look around while Delilah keeps an eye on him with a faint smile.

"Are we underground?" Carol suddenly asks "Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner questions "A little" Carol admits "Try not to think about it. Vi, bring up the lights in the big room!" Jenner instructs "Welcome to zone 5!" Jenner gestures around "Where is everybody? The other doctors, the staff?"Rick asks with everyone nodding along "I'm it. It's just me here" Jenner answers "What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?" Shane asks "Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them... Welcome" Jenner instructs "Hello, guests. Welcome" the computer known as 'Vi' says.

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry" Jenner says with a sad smile.

~~~timeskip~~~
"What's the point? If we were infected, we'd all be running a fever" Andrea states annoyed, as it's her turn to submit a blood test "I've already broken every rule in the book letting you in here. Let me just at least be thorough" Jenner responds "All done-- Ooh!" Jenner immediately steadies Andrea as she stands up too fast and becomes dizzy "Are you okay?" Jenner asks concern "Mmm" Andrea hums while nodding "She hasn't eaten in days" Amy speaks up "None of us have" Lori adds.

Jenner looks at all of them before his gaze lands on Delilah. He stands up and says "Follow me" the group obeys and follows Jenner to the kitchen.

Later everyone is eating, drinking, and laughing "Fine. You know, in Italy, children have a little bit of wine with dinner" Dale says while trying to convince Lori to let Carl have a sip of wine "And in France!" Jacqui pipes up "Well, when Carl is in Italy or France, he can have some then" Lori states with a laugh "What's it gonna hurt? Come on" Rick says "Come on!" Dale laughs Lori agrees and Dale pours Carl a small cup "There you are, young lad" everyone grows quiet as they look to see Carl's reaction "Eww" Carl says as he scrunches up his face.

The adults laugh "That's my boy. That's my boy. Good boy" Lori yells out "Yuck. That tastes nasty"Carl says and the laughing continues "Well, just stick to soda pop there, bud" Dale chuckled "Not you, Glenn" Daryl says while smirking "What?" Glenn asks from his spot next to Delilah, who was also drinking, both looked up at Daryl questioningly "Keep drinking, little man. I want to see how red your face can get" Daryl says teasingly the men laugh. "It seems to me we haven't thanked our host properly. He is more than just our host. Hear hear!" Rick says "Here's to you, doc!" T-Dog says "Thank you!" the group mumbles out "So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, doc? All the... the other doctors that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, - where are they?" Shane suddenly asks.

"We're celebrating, Shane. Don't need to do this now" Rick chides, making Delilah nod and say "Rick's right, let's just wait till morning to ask" "Whoa, wait a second. This is why we're here, right? This was your move... Supposed to find all the answers. Instead we... We found him. Found one man. Why?" Shane asks "Well, when things got bad, a lot of people just left. Went off to be with their families. And when things got worse, when the military cordon got overrun, the rest bolted. Every last one? No, many couldn't face walking out the door. They... opted out. There was a rash of suicides. That was a bad time" Jenner explained, Delilah frowned and walked over and placed a hand on Jenner's.

Jenner looked up at her in surprise "I'm so sorry" she whispered, her voice was full of sympathy. Jenner's face soften and he squeezed her hand gently.

"You didn't leave. Why?" Shane pressed "I just kept working. Hoping to do some good" Jenner answered
"Dude, you are such a buzzkill, man" Glenn complained, earning a dirty look from Shane. Delilah sipped her wine while looking elsewhere. She nudged Glenn who looked up and she smiled at him.

Later Jenner shows them the bunks "Most of the facility is powered down including housing, so you'll have to make do here. The couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like" He explains
"There's a rec room down the hall that you kids might enjoy. Just don't plug in the video games, okay? Or anything that draws power. The same applies... If you shower, go easy on the hot water" "Hot water?" Amy and Delilah ask hopefully "That's what the man said!" T-Dog exclaims with a laugh.