Chapter 1

SHROUD

I sank my claws into his heart. Bones, muscles and sinew giving way oh- so easily as though I was cutting through fine butter. I wish there was some resistance on his part. It would have made the experience more real. How I have dreamt of this day and now I savour it. 

This man is my nightmare

This man is my nightmare. I know I can never escape him. He is Amar. Eternal. Undying. At least in me he always will be even if I tear him to pieces. He is inked on my skin like a tattoo, buried deep in my memories, and though as time passes the vividness of it will wear off. But I will always be His shackled slave. Forever.

Knowing all that, I continued my share of the battle. I went on because that's all I ever knew. The coppery tang of blood was thick in the air. I knew the battle raging around me but my eyes were only for him. His cruel lips curled up at a corner in a mockery of a smile. I returned it as I begin to freeze his heart from the inside out. His smile never wavered. It stocks my anger like nothing else. I knew what the bastard wanted and for once in my life, I gave it with a relishing sigh. For what am I but a slave to his whims.

A pair of wings appeared at my back. Today they looked like broken shards of glass, transparent in some places where it didn't resemble a mangled mess of a mirror. The early rays of the dawn reflected off it in places, in others it acted as a prism, making rainbows around me, in still others the reflection of the ongoing battle could be seen. My eyes must have the same colour, so must be my hair and claws. I was a Metamorph. Not so much by birth but by what this man has made of me. He created me, made me into this unrecognizable mess of a creature.

His lips parted in wonder, his eyes had that avid look about it that I have come to despise and to my shame fear. It heralded bad things that still cling to me in my sleep like a lover. I have long accepted my fate. I knew my days were always numbered. I just intended to make him more miserable than mine ever was. 

I have seen eyes as life leaves them. Seen the disbelief, the denial and then the panicking acceptance. I have danced around their vacant eyes, relishing its end like my own humanity. But this feeling is different. Maybe I have imagined this moment so many times, played it in my mind in so many shades and colours, tasted it on my tongue, that the reality is not something I can accept.  For once in my life I am standing over him, his heart is in my claws, I can feel the life source leaving his body. And despite it all, there is only wonder in his eyes. I want him to beg me, to say something for ruining me. But his eyes say it all. "Hello, my beautiful damnation. You are nothing except what I made you be. My covetous monster", 

And then it all ended. Too quickly. One lifelong mission has gone. Just like that. Just like that. I wasn't yet ready to accept it. Because what's left now is my reckoning.

  ‘’I killed him’’, 

I announced in a monotone. My voice did not betray the emotion that ravaged my blackened heart. The announcement didn’t leave even an ounce of surprise in the people around me. No one blinked an eye at the blood and gore that covered me.