Chapter 19

Shroud

"How do I look?", Ghost asked with a deep nervous sigh.

Eyes the colour of rich amber with strips of radiant green that seem to have caught a million lights in it.  And there....right there if the light fell just in a right place it sparkled like fine Amethysts. Her golden skin seems to have stolen a fair share of the burning glow of the sun of Shah Qadar. She wore the attire of the Amir dynasty. The multicoloured dress suited her. Her long dark hair was braided. Bits and pieces of jewellery were woven into the braid. Heavy gold jewellery adorned her neck, ears and head. Her bangles clanged as she raised her arm to remove a lock of hair from her face. Tucking it behind her ear,  She shifted on her heels.

 Tucking it behind her ear,  She shifted on her heels

"-well? ",  she asked.

I don't know how Zeenat looked, but right now at this moment you are the most beautiful lady around, maybe more so than even Zeenat. 

I wanted to say it. But I couldn't.

Instead, I just shrugged," You will do I suppose",

Something akin to hurt flashed in her eyes but it was gone too quickly.

Why? Why should you still seek your features to be admired when this beauty has always proved an enemy?  But that was not a problem here. Was it?

"You will make Zeenat envious",  a deep voice said from behind me.

I turned and my breath caught at the sight that greeted me. Beauty doesn't move me anymore. Maybe a long time ago it might have when my heart was young and foolish when it was like the fallen leaves of autumn readily moving with the breeze uncaring of where it took me. Yes, autumn leaves, because I don't remember ever being a part of any tree. But now nothing affects me or so I thought until my eyes fell on Zanoon.

 But now nothing affects me or so I thought until my eyes fell on Zanoon

It was as if a storm was caught in those striking blue eyes. How can eyes be so expressive? There was so much in it, a battle raging. There was no sign of that mischievous glint just a focused sharp gaze with sizzling promises all directed at... Me? Nah! at Ghost of course. What was I before Ghost's blinding beauty?