chapter 5

Ghost

" _A step upon which greatness reaches its destination. See the caravan as they go. See the dusk it comes swiftly. And the river will split three times. And new eras will be ushered.",

I stood in front of a fountain, the place was familiar, we were just passing through an arcaded gallery in Hunainia. Weren't we? The place was quiet and eerie. I was alone. My crew members were gone. I turned around. Nothing. I almost gasped as a figure draped in a ceremonial robe of the zuffians appeared out of nowhere. He was sitting on the edge of the fountain, tiny fishes nibbling at his toes. He was gazing into the water with a dazed look on his face. He repeated the words.

Soothsayers! I hated their words. Nothing fruitful ever comes out of it. They just ramble some vague sentences which you would not be able to crack until it's too late.

"Get me out of here, buddy", I said with an exasperated sigh. He, of course, ignored me.

The vision would end eventually and I would be out of it. I knew that but I didn't appreciate being brought here without my will.

He turned to me. And now his eyes were clear and sharp. Green eyes regarded with keen interest. I felt stripped naked before those eyes, I knew he could see right through me, through all layers, all the way to my rotten soul. He stood up. The robe which minutes ago was drenched at the bottom, dried up as he took a step toward me. He had a hulking figure. Bronze skin that seems to shimmer from within. His aura seems to suck the life from everything around, I couldn't look away even if the building was on fire. It was not so much his looks that draw the eye but the peace and noor on his face.

What it must feel to be that content?

I am not content. I am never going to be content not until I meet my beloved.

I gasped." Please stay out of my mind", I said out loud.

I am not in your mind. It is my vision remember. I allow you in_

"You brought me in without my permission. That's rude.",

He smiled and my poor heart just gave way.

" I must apologise. I haven't contacted anyone in such a long time. My manners are -.", He trailed off," -unacceptable,"
He took another step toward me. " You are very brave, Rehmat ",

My eyes widened ", How do you know my name?", Okay that was a stupid thing to ask. Did I just mention that the guy just checked out my soul? Like thoroughly?

He smiled again. Dear God, I am in love.

He raised an eyebrow", With whom?",

" Out," I might have shrieked a little.

His lips twitched." I would like to talk to you some more but I have to be somewhere else, the other one is too aggressive and impatient. I would need my full focus for her, I am afraid. ",

" Who, What?", I asked.

" You must keep a close eye on them. The heart of men is too easily swayed. You must not let the taboot in the wrong hand. It will cause havoc if that happens.",

"Who? Who are they?", I asked, he seems to fade little by little?

" Wait, who are you?",

He only smiled as his face begin to fade.

"Them is everyone, them is your group, them is the world, them is her",

And then he was gone.
______________________________________________ Shroud

I was alone. But that sense of being watched continued.

" Show yourself",

Nothing. And then he appeared. A hulking figure wearing a ceremonial robe. His face was covered by a piece of cloth.

"Where do you think we are?", He asked.
A shudder went through me. The voice! There was something about it. It tugged at my heart. Like a balm, it calmed my racing heart. I don't remember the last time I felt this peace. I lowered my dagger.

" knock it off", I hissed out. The calming could be so easily wielded as a weapon. After all, what's easier than slipping a knife into a sleeping person or complacent ones?",

"I am not doing anything, Shroud",

" You are one of them, the zuffians",
He didn't answer.

"-Are we in a vision?",

"Why do you all waste your words on such fickle things as where we are?", He said as he took a step toward me. My body tensed, prepping for a strike. My grip on the hilt of the dagger tightened.
"_especially when you could ask so much, so many things. For example, would the taboot bring back your parents? Would bringing them back change the fact that you did kill them in the first place", he said, passing by me, not caring that I. Me. Shroud was holding a dagger, poised to strike. No one ignores that. No one!

" You can't harm anyone here.", He said by way of explanation, turning to face me.

"You wanna bet?", I challenged.

He tilted his head to the side. ", Perhaps some other time. Now I would rather speak of something useful. I have other guests to attend to.",

" -You mean hijacked them into your visions without their consent. Doesn't your God forbid you from trespassing into others' minds?",

Silence answered me.

"Of course", I muttered under my breath.

" Do you know where did this belief come from?" He said as he sat crossed-legged on the floor. He motioned for me to do the same.

I raised an eyebrow," for real, Are we making ourselves at home?",

He sighed.

He seemed irritated. Weren't they suppose to have an endless well of patience?

And then he walked in, Zanoon. He looked as confused as I felt. He saw me and a look of surprise crossed his face, followed by wariness.

On the Zuffian's prompting, Zanoon quietly sat on the ground. He gave me a sidelong glance.

"This could end quickly or you could drag it on. Your choice.", The Zufian said sternly.

I sighed and planted my ass down. Raising my hand for him to continue. Might as well hear him out. What harm could his rambling do?

If only I knew. If only.