Chapter 24

Chapter 24

SHROUD

Darkness. Utter and absolute. The Silence, rested heavy in the air. That feeling of being watched that your intuition tells you, screamed for me to back the hell away from there. But even if I do I know I have lost the way back a long time ago.

How we have managed to grab hands? How were we managing to run and keep connected through that touch? How that small skin-to-skin contact was saving my sanity? How I could allow myself to trust someone?- even if it was for a letter to lead to betrayal, was beyond me.

We ran and ran unaware of our destination not knowing that it was from here that our true journey began. Unaware that this sarcophagus that we both sought so desperately was never the answer or a solution to our lives problem. It will become the root of it eventually.

I have for a long time relied on my body. Life has equipped it with so much, it was a weapon honed and readied to kill, maim and end lives. So it was always a shock when it gave up on me because very often than not I forgot that it was made of just flesh and bones. And just like the lives I ended, I could be ended. And maybe that was a reason I could not believe it when it started abandoning me.  I felt my sweaty palms slipping from his grasp. Felt my resolve wavering, felt my legs shaking, and my vision... It was hard to tell what was going on with it because it was too dark already. Or was it just me and the effect of the Ghoul's toxin.?Is this how my prey felt? Caged in their body!... Conscious...but still useless...unable to move or act the way they wanted.

I felt myself being lifted. No amount of toxins could stop me from feeling the touch of another body against mine. I felt the brush of callused fingers against my cheek, of firm strong arms pressing me against a wall-hard chest.  I stilled. A slew of old memories threatened to untangle itself from the deepest recess of my mind. And then I started struggling or I felt like I was. In reality, I could be just twitching my muscles...so useless they felt.

"How the mighty have fallen? ",

"You haven't fallen, I won't let you fall", He whispered into my ears.

I didn't know I spoke out loud.

I will have to kill him... I must. Nobody is supposed to know that he carried me.

I felt his chest shaking under my cheek or I could be just hallucinating.

" -You first have to stand on your own two feet",  He said, with a rumbling laugh.

I have said that part aloud...great!

His laughter intensified.

...And I am shutting up till it wears off.

"Please don't !",   he begged, I felt his arm squeezing me tighter.

I groaned.

"Somebody kill me", 

"You might want to take that back...as there is a list of people who would do anything to do just that",

I groaned again, closing my eyes I stopped trying to distance my body from his. I relaxed into him and let loss a lonlong-sufferinggh. And then I smelt it! That smell. It was familiar. Where had I smelled it? My mind was all cobwebs and tangled thoughts. I feared soon I would forget my name let alone remrememberell.

I felt myself drifting in and out of consciousness.

There was something... I had to protect that something. Somebody was carrying me... Perilous... This place? This person?

There was so much going through my head but the moment I tried running toward a single thought it would become a wisp of thin air slipping away from my grasp. If only... If only...
A thought?.? dream? A memory?. ?at was I  searching for?

What was searching for me?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------