Chapter 16

Shroud

In the silence, the only sound was that of our breathing and the thumping of the racing hearts around us.

I have heard people talk behind my back that when I enter a room they know that a bigger,  meaner predator was among them, that their most primer parts urge them to flee. I suppose it was true that our most primer instinct often warns us of the impending dooms. Even if we are too proud or stupid to heed those warnings. I felt it now, that sense of urgency, the desire to flee. But I have promised myself a long time ago that I will never run. I will fight my battle heads on. After all, I have never been successful at running.   My inner Ghilman, that wretched creature purred in excitement, slithering under my skin ready to be loosed free to wreak havoc. It thrived on violence -lived for it. I curled my fist tight. My finger still had nails, no claws. Thank Fuck.

We all looked at the water with waited breaths,  weapons to the ready

We all looked at the water with waited breaths,  weapons to the ready. Knives and swords, daggers and all.

And then it happened, a ripple. There!. A long dark-scaled tail. It rose from the water passing over us in a wide arc. We had all ducked. The canoe rocked from side to side. It followed a slew of colourful curses. Our group matched,  even surpassing the sailors in its content.  The Captain of Abyad gave Verso an impressive look that seems to say, wanna join the crew.

"IT HAS SPIKES !",   Hannan exclaimed.

Indeed the tail had long sharp spikes. It was swiped in our direction again. It was huge. It will crack the canoe into pieces if it touches it.

"- Where is the rest of it",  Zanoon murmured his eyes tracking the ripple of water.

" Why are you going to hunt it down?", Verso asked in a mocking tone from the other canoe.

Zanoon's silent shadow Arman tense at the insult. He gave Zanoon a sidelong glance. I was also looking at Zanoon. The look on his face was that of someone who meant business. I knew those eyes, it was of someone ready to jump into a fray, into a battle. Arman seemed ready as well. Does he ever speak? Not that I am complaining. Zanoon is a handful already.

Zanoon for once in his life let the jab go without a retort. He seemed more focused and centred than ever I have seen him. It gave me a pause and though it was not a time or place for it, a thought came unbidden. He was handsome, almost painstakingly so. How must it feel to have all that attention focused on you?  Maybe that was what drew women to him. To have something of him even for one night.