Chapter 13

13
Ghost

I was dying.

The last name on my lips shouldn't have been hers. I should be praying to God. But deep down I knew He would never answer. I have always known that I was too beneath His notice.  The only person who ever did answer was her. Shroud.  That...terrible...terrible creature. Maybe that was why I was using the last vestiges of my power to summon her. And there she was jumping from the safety of Abyad to her doom. To save me!

There was something wrong with these waters

There was something wrong with these waters. It was sucking the life out of us, draining us, rendering all my shields, all my power useless.

The walls around my mind are usually impenetrable. I play with people's minds, no one dares to play with me. But things were different here. And this place has gotten to me when so many people could not. Striping me bare for the barrage of memories of my past to haunt me. I don't want to revisit those wretched memories, I don't want to reopen those wounds, I have oh-so painstakingly woven them into tight knots, burying them deep into the recesses of my brain. It was supposed to remain untouched, undisturbed. I thought I was safe from them until this place opened my eyes. And now I see them - those injuries of the past that I have left untended. They have been festering the whole time. Festering...festering...

I felt my body giving up

I felt my body giving up. I felt it surrendering. No!  A wretched plea. To myself? To the God who still listened? I was not supposed to die. I could not die. My body was drowning as these thoughts plagued me, I opened my mouth to shout out a final scream of defiance. Water rushed in with eager anticipation, and pressure clamped on my chest. This was it!

And then I felt it- my body being pulled. Was it under? Or above.
"Ghost...Ghost...Open your fucking eyes. ",

There was the vague sense of being pulled, dragged through sand... Water?  A very Shroud like cursing and profanities exploding somewhere. I tried to open my eyes, but it was as if someone has poured lead onto them.

" I swear to God, I am not touching my lips to another person ever",  Shroud murmured.

Ahhhhhh?