Chapter 18

18

Verso

We did not retrieve our canoes, The trees were close enough in these parts that we could jump from branches to branches. That ropy ivy-like structures were not of much help since they seem to ooze some green liquid that made it too slippery to hold on to. Upon the trees, there were poisonous insects, camouflaging snakes, and preying birds but no one was ready to travel through the water again.

We finally got to that swamp hut where the voodoo priest lived. It was built from wood in one of the tall trees.

Light glowed from inside and candles glowed on the stairs leading up to the hut

Light glowed from inside and candles glowed on the stairs leading up to the hut. Smoke rose from the chimneys. It was a small hut but it looked homey from the outside if one ignore the human skulls dangling from the trees. A breeze came and the skulls moved to and fro making a clanging sound as they touched each other. We were tired, we could all use a little rest right about now. The skulls would not deter us after those dragons.

". Nice touch ", Murmured Shroud, smirking at the skull in front of her face.

We knocked three times but no one answered.

" If you don't open this door-", I began,
Shroud kicked it once, and it broke. Splintered wood flew in all directions "- we will break it", I trailed off.

Okay then. I thought looking at the splintered wooden door with raised eyebrows.

We filed in one by one.

In the centre of the room sat a shirtless man. He had his back to us. His body was well built. He didn't even flinch at our breaking into his house.

"Uh, should we break something else?", Zanoon asked.

I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it. If the guy didn't move from his spot during the whole roaring of the water dragon and us breaking his door then I don't know what will affect him.

" Is...Is he dead?" Inquired Hannan, who was slowly edging around to face him.

" Where should we start the breaking from?", Zanoon asked, rubbing both his palm together, in anticipation.

" I am not dead", The man said, He had a thick accent which showed that he was most probably from the Hijaran isles. That was a place filled and ruled over by witches and warlocks, necromancers and sorcerers. They were highly skilled and talented. They were also very loyal to their queen and it was rare to find one so far away from their isles. "- And please don't break my things," He turned to face us," it's difficult to get a hand on things in this place",

My breath caught. Holy shit! , I knew the guy...I have... Shit...I have slept with a voodoo priest. It was about a year or so ago in Mehermar. I was on a mission and it was taking longer than the given time to complete the task. I remember getting restless. It was one of those nights I used to take the edge off. His accent was not so thick then. We met in one of the inns, shared drinks and stories...fake stories, fake names, fake accents. It was for the best I suppose. I don't do relationships but I do like to know that my partner would not cut my throat in bed. And getting close to a voodoo priest in any capacity was not exactly a place to chill.