Chapter 3 - Galeophobia

One Week Later...

After practicing for a while on a normal Saturday, I decided that I might as well call it quits early today, but as I flew down the mountain, I saw a crowd gathered around something on the beach. As I approached them I saw some of them look towards me. I guess this is time to play the hero.

"What's wrong?" I said before I saw a bloody body in the sand behind the police officers who were trying to disperse the crowd.

<Fear>

I've never seen a dead body before, and the fact that this could be me if I messed up with all this permeated my body. As it was in the corner of my vision, I saw that alongside bite marks all across the body, there was a chunk missing of the head. It took all of my power to prevent myself from retching in horror and disgust.

"There's something in the water. It... it killed this man." The officer said

"Do you have anything else on the thing?" I asked

"No, all we do know is that whatever did this wasn't human." the officer said

Despite the dread that this all filled me with, if this is some sort of monster, I don't know how effectively the police could deal with it, especially with the fact it's in the ocean. I need to do something.

<Willpower>

"I'll do something about this. Just keep everybody out of the water for now." I said. After all, what has my practice at using the ring been for if I'm gonna run away the first time I see a monster like this.

"R-right." the officer said

I took a deep breath, and created a harpoon with the ring before taking a deep breath, and flying into the water. It doesn't feel too different compared to moving through the air, and I tried looking around for a while. Eventually I found what seemed like a swarm of sharks or something. They seemed completely passive, so I don't know if these are what killed that man. But maybe they are following it...

I noticed the sunlight reaching through the waters above me started to be blocked by something, only for me to see what seemed like a giant humanoid shark coming down at me with its mouth open. I tried to thrust the harpoon I made at him, but he swatted it away with his hand, still barreling towards me.

Without enough time to try and pull the harpoon and attack again, I tried to move out the way, and managed to with only seconds to spare before I would get caught in his jaws. Also, apparently I can breathe underwater, as I instinctively sighed in relief at avoiding it.

"Who... are you? Need... fresh blood... brain..."

What the hell was the voice that just was in my head? Is this some freaky psychic shark man?

<Fear>

"I-I'm here to deal with you." I said. What the hell is this thing? And it did all that to the body on the coast. If I don't do something, I'm going to end up like him. Still, I can't just leave! I'm terrified of this thing, but I need to keep going.

"You.. try and stop feeding. I... need think... brain..."

The shark charged at me again, its mouth open once again. "Yeah, it looks like you need one of those." I said, raising my hand and preparing to fire into its mouth. However, as I was about to fire, I was distracted by multiple searing pains in my arm. The thing was able to bite through something that's bulletproof!

As the shark dragged me deeper into the water, its jaws still sunk deep into my arm, I started to believe that I wasn't going to be able to beat this thing. That I am going to die here, eaten by it.