𝟒 | 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐬

song: lennon stella - pretty boy

° ☆ 𝐍𝐨𝐫𝐚 ☆ °

As I sit down at my makeup chair, memories of yesterday with Kaden swirl in my mind like gentle whispers in a quiet room. Despite the sweetness of our time together, the thought of my brother's protective nature lingers, casting a shadow over the moment - he would put him six feet underground if anything happened. Kai has always been fiercely protective of me, and while I appreciate his concern, sometimes it feels like he's suffocating me with his watchful eye.

Thinking back to our childhood, I can't help but smile at the memories of Kai standing up for me in the face of our father's anger or comforting me through heartbreaks. His love and support have been unwavering, even if it sometimes borders on overprotectiveness.

The memory of my past abusive relationship sends a pang of sadness through me, but I push it aside, focusing on the present. Kai's protective instincts have only grown stronger over the years, fueled by a sense of responsibility that weighs heavy on his shoulders.

Glancing at my morning to-do list, I'm reminded of the tasks awaiting me before the afternoon picnic with Lilly and Ruby. With a sense of determination, I turn my attention to my makeup routine, each stroke of the brush a small act of self-care amidst the complexities of life.

After my makeup is done, I eye my clothing options. Earlier today, I laid out a cute summer dress, all glorious in its white shimmer. As I slip into the dress, its soft fabric embracing me like a gentle breeze, I can't help but marvel at its simplicity and elegance. The warm sunlight filtering through the curtains adds a golden hue to the room, infusing it with a sense of serenity that matches my mood.

With the dress zipped up, I grab my phone and check our group chat, anticipating the plans for the afternoon picnic with Lilly and Ruby. The anticipation of spending time with my closest friends fills me with a sense of excitement.

Blondie: I'm ready, let me know when you will drive by.

Ruby: Lilly, should I come to you, so Nora doesn't have to drive around?

Blondie: Yeah, I will wait for you out front!

Blondie: NORA HURRY !!!

Hurry? We decided to meet at 4 o'clock and it's 3:30 pm.

Me: I'm leaving right now, I'll be there in 10.

As I scroll through the messages, a smile tugs at the corners of my lips. I slip my phone into my purse and head out to my car, the anticipation of our picnic bubbling within me. As I start the car, I connect my phone to the Bluetooth and cue up my favorite playlist. Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line" fills the car with its soothing melody as I pull out onto the street.

Pulling up in front of Lilly's house, I watch as the girls eagerly hop into the car. Ruby settles into the passenger seat while Lilly takes her place in the back.

"Right on time?" I quip, glancing back at Lilly and Ruby.

"Could've been here sooner," Lilly jokes, earning an eye roll from Ruby.

"Blame her, she's the one who dragged me out of the house fifteen minutes early," Ruby retorts. Lilly and I share a laugh at Ruby's mock annoyance.

Despite only two days passing since Ruby's heartbreak, she's already showing incredible resilience, and I can't help but admire her strength.

"Do you girls have the food? I've got the blanket," I inquire and I get a nod in response.

After a twenty-minute drive, we finally arrive. Parking my car by the side of the gravel road, we gather our things and make our way to the chosen spot on the edge of the hill. The meadow is a vision of natural beauty, with colorful flowers swaying gently in the breeze and the warm sunlight casting a golden hue over the landscape. Butterflies flit gracefully among the blossoms, adding to the enchanting scene.