Chapter 6 [M]

Their tentative truce is going better than Chaeyoung thought it would. But it's still rather precarious. Jennie doesn't bring people home when Chaeyoung is around, so it's almost like she's not seeing anyone at all. But long nights alone in the house without the brunette tell Chaeyoung otherwise.

They are slowly but surely settling into their own routine as days pass. Jennie, it seems, has figured out Chaeyoung's schedule long ago. Early on, she's used it to get on her nerves. Now, however, she's building her life in The Parks' residence around it. She knows precisely when to appear and when to leave Chaeyoung alone – and, if Chaeyoung's honest with herself, the latter is becoming more and more unnecessary. Jennie's given up the pretense of reading while Chaeyoung's doing her homework in the kitchen, instead browsing through her phone and silently sharing cut up fruit with her. Sometimes, they toss small phrases back and forth. Mostly school stuff. Sometimes, general stuff. And, sometimes, those general stuff lead to interesting discoveries that Chaeyoung finds herself oddly enjoying.

This Wednesday is a good example.

She's finishing up with her calculus assignment when Jennie breezes past the kitchen island she's seated at, stealing a strawberry from Chaeyoung's plate. Her robe is back, but now, it's untied and she's got shorts and a Captain America t-shirt underneath. Huh. She pegged Jennie for Iron Man type of girl. Then again, maybe she just doesn't know much about the characters. The whole marvel hype kind of blew past her, and she doesn't have time nor the energy to get into it.

“Well fuck me,” Jennie mutters as she plops on the chair opposite of Chaeyoung, not taking her eyes off her phone. “They do have knees.”

Chaeyoung can't resist. “The bees?”

“What?” It's like Jennie only just realized Chaeyoung's here. Her eyes are just a touch bleary and unfocused, and she blinks several times. Jennie hides her amused smile.

“You know. The bee's knees.”

“Oh.” Jennie doesn't look like she finds it funny. She's still frowning, deep in thoughts. Perhaps, she's still trying to comprehend whatever it is she found about knees and who has them. “No, penguins.”

Now it's Chaeyoung's turn to look perplexed. “Penguins?”

Jennie's eyes light up. “Yeah. They actually have them. Look.” she thrusts her phone at Chaeyoung, and there is a detailed picture of a penguin skeleton. Their leg bones are actually much longer than she anticipated, Chaeyoung notes. Most of it is hidden by their adorable body, although she doubts she'll find them as adorable anymore after she saw what they look like on the inside. It is slightly terrifying, actually. The skull definitely looks like something straight from a horror movie, and Chaeyoung hates those.

She suppressed a shudder. “Huh,” she says. Jennie is fidgeting in her seat excitedly, seemingly past her earlier astonishment. Now, she looks proud of her discovery. “Cool. Any reason you're looking up penguin knees?” As amusing as this little anatomy lesson is, Jennie's sudden interest in the topic is much more fascinating.

Instead of answering, Jennie gives her a confused look. Chaeyoung gives her one back, and brown eyes slowly widen with dawning realization.

“No way,” she mutters. “Didn't you see Imagine Me and You?” The name vaguely rings a bell, but vaguely is the key word. Chaeyoung shakes her head, and Jennie's jaw drops. “How?”

Chaeyoung shrugs, feeling a little guilty, because Jennie is looking at her like she's seeing her for the first time. “I, uh, don't watch a lot of movies?”

“Unbelievable,” Jennie mutters, mostly to herself. “A complete fucking Disney collection and big ass Sappho books and she hasn't seen Imagine Me and You. It's like a lesbian rite of passage or something,” she says. “Well. Girls loving girls rite of passage.”