Biological and Chosen Family

Texas and Britain stayed in their embrace for a while, both of them sobbing gently.

"Are you going to live in the forest now...?" Britain asked.

"I guess my parents would like me to live with them," Texas said.

"You found your parents? I'd love to meet them," Britain said.

"Maybe one day you will... I have a bit of catching up to do with them though... I should... I should probably tell Spain I won't be working for him anymore...," Texas said. Britain sighed.

"I suppose... he'll miss you," Britain said.

"He doesn't really talk to me much...," Texas said.

"He wanted to adopt you the first time he met you," Britain said. Texas looked up at Britain, an incredulous look on his face

"Really...? Why didn't he?" Texas asked.

"Financial problems, he was very ill and had trouble taking care of himself, and... well, it never made sense to me, but he'd say he didn't deserve a child. Said you'd be better off with a married man, someone who could give you the perfect childhood he never had... I suppose he didn't think he could be that person," Britain said. Texas let these words sink in. "He really regrets it, I'm sure he wished he adopted you right then and there... just... don't forget about us, ok? Please visit when you can, because we love you," Britain said. Texas teared up and pulled Britain in for one more hug, before running off to say goodbye to Spain.

He got to Spain's house, and knocked on the door. Oddly, there was no answer. Texas took out his spare key and went into the small, dimly lit home.

"Spain?" Texas called. No answer.

Texas walked into the sitting room, and found Spain motionless on the couch. His eyes were shut, in peaceful, seemingly lifeless unconsciousness.

"Spain!" Texas cried, fearing the worst. He climbed on top of him and hugged him like a frightened child seeking comfort from their father. He was crying, hoping that he wasn't actually dead. Suddenly, Spain hugged him back.

"I'm not dead, mi hijo, old men need their rest," Spain said. Texas let out a happy/relieved/confused noise and hugged Spain closer. "You ok?" Spain asked.

"Nooooo," Texas said.

"Well, I'm at least glad you're back. I really missed you," Spain said. Texas sighed.

"Y-yeah but... um... Spain... I might have to leave again... forever...?" Texas said.

"Hm? Why's that?" Spain asked.

"I... I found my real parents... I'm Aerillian apparently... I will visit as much as I can... I promise. B-because... they might be my biological parents but... You're just as much of a father to me," Texas said. Spain nodded, slightly tearing up.

"Wh-when are you going to be leaving?" Spain asked.

"Soon...," Texas said, before pausing for a moment. "I'll stay for dinner," Texas said. Spain smiled and nodded, and together they cooked dinner.

The next morning, Texas packed his things to go back to his parents palace.

"Tell them I said hello... I'll miss you," Spain said. Texas frowned.

"Um... I actually need to show you something... it's not too far in the forest, it'll only take about five minutes to get there and back," Texas said.

"Really? lead the way," Spain said. Texas lead him into the forest, and halfway through they took a break.

"So, at what point will you admit you're kidnapping me?" Spain asked.

"I was banking on the fact that you are old and senile," Texas said.

"I'm senile, mi hijo, not completely stupid," Spain said. Texas nodded.

"I'm sorry I dragged you out here... guess I really didn't want to leave ya," Texas said. Spain shrugged.

"I forgive you," Spain said. Soon, they made it to the empire, and were welcomed in. Word already got around about Texas, and he was being treated like the royalty he was. Meanwhile, Spain was staring in wonder at this unfamiliar, magical world. Texas was holding his hand because old people are like children and tend to get lost. Suddenly, two eagles flew up to them, and Spain squeezed Texas's hand. Texas realized that Spain and Mexico could have met already. The eagles shifted into his parents, who both looked happy to see him.

"Hello spawn!" America exclaimed. Mexico rolled her eyes.

"Don't call our son that," Mexico said. America smiled playfully.

"Ok, Eaglet it is then. I see you brought a human," America said. Mexico gave Spain a better look, a look of familiarity on her face.

"Ah- yes, um... my name is Spain, I am uh...," Spain started, unsure of what to label his relationship to Texas.

"He's my adoptive father. He took care of me when I left the orphanage," Texas said. Spain smiled and nodded.

"Is he the one who took your wings?" Mexico asked, sounding slightly accusational.

"No, the orphanage caretaker did- he was just protecting me from the Aerillian hunters, he didn't mean any harm," Texas said. Mexico nodded, before staring at Spain a moment longer.

"Do I know you?" Mexico asked.

"Perhaps... when I was a young man my father wanted me to go hunting with him... my father and an eagle mother killed each other, and I carried her daughter to a nearby nest in hopes of keeping her safe," Spain said. Mexico stared at him in surprise.

"You put me in Native America's nest... I may have never met my husband- let alone survived- if it weren't for you," Mexico said. Spain shook his head.

"It was the least I could do. Your mother could have killed me along with my father... I'm just sorry anyone had to die that day... especially your mother. I could live without my father, but you were merely a toddler," Spain said. America smiled.

"I knew humans were inherently good. Seemingly especially the younger ones... The night my mother was killed was tragic, however I am forever grateful for the young man who convinced the hunter he was with to spare me," America said.

"You know... Britain, the orphanage caretaker, told me a similar story... I suppose my families aren't that far apart after all," Texas said. Suddenly, he was trapped in a bear hug.

"I MISSED YOUUUUU!" California exclaimed.

"Hi Cali, missed you too," Texas said, returning the hug while simultaneously trying to gasp for air.

"Ah, this is the boy who was keeping you up all night," Spain said, America and Mexico giggling.

"Don't phrase it like that!" Texas exclaimed.

"Like what?" Spain asked, with false ignorance.

"You know...," Texas said, crossing his arms. Spain shrugged.

"Anyway, it's nice to properly meet you dear, how long have you and Texas known each other?" Spain asked.

"Um... well, I'd say about a month now, a month and a half maybe," California said, oblivious to why Texas was flustered and the eagles were giggling like kids.

"I see, I see... how are things between you two?" Spain asked.

"Good? he's pretty cool," California said. Texas groaned.

"Enough of this... Me and Cali are gonna go hang out," Texas said, grabbing California's hand and dragging him along.

"Have fun kiddo!" America called. Texas ignored them.

"What was that about?" California asked.

"Don't worry about it, they're just weird," Texas said