VII - a furious king

Dream was furious.

He had sent Sapnap and George away the second he regained his composure.

He wanted to chase after the person, to find them. But as he gazed out of the window in which they had left, he realised it was pointless.

He had spent all night pacing around his room, hands clenched and knuckles white.

He had come out of the fight with merely a few scratches and bruises but that didn't seem to effect him at all, even if it did his mind wasn't on it at the moment. 

He couldn't help but feel that the person was holding back, that they could've killed him if they really wanted. 

The whole ordeal was so unexpected.

Of course the young king had been threatened multiple times, I mean there was even an ongoing rebellion at the moment that he was threatened with. Even as a prince he had seen threats and attempted assassinations, his father wasn't the most liked person after all.

Something felt so different this time. 

It was unclear to Dream if the person knew him or not, like knew him, unrelated to his role in the kingdom. 

He had a suspicion that the attacker didn't come from his kingdom, he wasn't aware that anyone in it had that level of training and skill but he didn't out rule the possibility. 

He also had the idea that the person had been hired, from a distant land to kill him. He had been warned of such things. 

His main theory was that Wilbur or one of his little followers had hired them. He wouldn't put it passed them.

Dream had made it clear to show the rebels that they were the weaker force in the rebellion, that the king not only had more men but also had more resources.  

He was furious.

He knew that Wilbur was desperate. It just shocked him that someone had come close enough to kill him.

He just couldn't get the persons hesitation out of his head. 

He thought of this as he sat on the ottoman at the end of his bed and glanced out of the still open window. 

The sun had started to rise, casting a light blue glow across the castle. 

Dream sighed as he ran his hands through his hair. Placing his hands next to him, the king pushes his hands down and heaves his body up. 

Grumbling under his breath, he quickly ties his hair up out of his face before leaving the room.

Closing the door behind him, he raises his eyebrows as his eyes fall on the wrapped up package leaning against the wall.

Cautiously, Dream picks it up. Admiring the soft material and the deep green colour of the cloak. It furthered his theory that the person came from outside the kingdom. Those types of cloaks were outdated in his lands, and nowhere sold them anywhere. Unless it was handmade. There were other options that would explain the cloak, so Dream kept his mind open to those possibilities. 

He unwrapped the fabric to reveal a beautifully carved long bow.

The wood was rich and polished, the dark grey of the wood shining in the morning light.  At each end of the bow was a black painted metal coating the tips. Running around the bow its self were silver patterns that swirled around the wood, entangling itself like vines. As Dream examined it further he saw that the patterns were actually carved into the wood itself, the silver seemingly hand painted on. 

The handle was a sturdy leather that was comfortable to the touch. Pushed in patterns of dark brown ran around it in a similar fashion to the bow.  

Dream admired the craftsmanship and overall beauty of the weapon. 

He pulled the bow out of the cloak and pick up the sheath.

The small pouch full of arrows was a smooth and well kept leather. It was less detailed than the bow. The corner were patched with a dark leather and there were small gold patterns painting on it. 

The arrows themselves were well crafted as well. The wood of the arrows were almost jet black and the feathers were a stark white and soft to the touch. The arrows weren't as detailed as the rest of the weapon and accessories, which was understandable, arrows were after all meant to be used and lost.

Dream pulled out one of the arrows. His eyes widened at the sight of the arrow head. The point extended further that the rest of it, each edge was sharped to the max, even resting the arrowhead against something was likely to cut.

Dream placed the arrow back in the sheath and hung the cloak over his forearm. 

Holding his new findings, Dream quickly strode down the stairs. He needed to find Sapnap and George so he could talk to them about his theories. The last thing the king was going to do was let the person get away with what they had done.

He walked through his castle, passing through the living room he was in the night before finding it empty, leaving the bow and cloak on the sofa.

Checking the clock on the side table as he went, he noted it was still early morning so they were probably either still asleep or in the kitchen/dining room. 

He decided to check the kitchen first as it is closer seeing as Sapnap and Georges quarters were both in the east wing of the castle.

Making his way over, he tried to keep his eye out for a clue as to how they had gotten in in the first place.

He made it all the way to the kitchen without spotting anything out of the ordinary.

Sighing to himself, Dream quickly scans the large room for any sign of the two princes. Coming up short, he strides into the large dining room to see it empty as well. It must be too early for them both to be up. 

Dream makes his way back to the main living room as it has a shortcut to the wings.

The king runs his hand through his hair with anger as he kicks the edge of one of the sofa in anger. 

Groaning at the sensation, he raises his arms above his head clasping at the back of his neck, his eyes shut.

Shaking his head at his anger, the man opens his eyes now facing the ceiling.

He is about to leave for the wings but stops as he spots something.

The large welded window thats fixed into the high ceiling catches his eye.

The glass, which had been there for decades untouched, had moved slightly.

Enough for someone to get in.

His mouth falls open at the realisation.

He stares at it for a moment more before jogging out of the room, prepared to go tell his two best friends everything.