IX - an unexpected appearance

Dream hadn't been out into the town for a while.

He used to go all the time. In the summer he, George and Sapnap would parade through the cluster off buildings before spending the days in the forest.

He hadn't been down since the rebellion with Wilbur had begun. 

The trio had decided it was probably unsafe. They had no idea how many people were joining Wilbur's side. 

At the early stages of the rebellion the king had attempted to prevent the forces from growing by declaring that anyone caught conversing with the opposition would be exiled without trial. 

Dream was smart enough to know it probably didn't work.

He had decided it was time to visit the town.

One reason was he needed to check on the on-growing rebellion. Regardless of the fact he had people almost constantly watching the works of the deranged brunette, he needed to make sure Wilbur and his little gang knew who the real opposition was. 

The second reason was to find any clue at to who the person who attacked him was. If he was to be honest that was his main reason. 

His next move with the rebellion was to declare was on them. On the group that had announced themselves L'Manburg.

The king and the two princes walked powerfully into town around mid-day. 

They were all sporting their netherite armour and weapons.

George and Sapnap strode behind the king. 

Sapnap smirked at the faces of all the towns people who had ceased their mornings to stare at the royals as he continuously threw up a flint and steel and caught again. 

The other prince gulped under the stares of the people. Unlike Sapnap, George was a lot quieter and didn't like attention. Which weren't the best qualities to have for a prince. 

Smile mask secured firmly on his face, Dream walked menacingly in front of the pair. 

His eyes scanned the faces of his people from under the mask, trying to spot anything suspicious.

He knew everyone in the town was on edge given the current situation. 

Dreams lips broke out into a grin at the scared faces of his people.

It meant his threat worked at least a bit.

He knew most people in his kingdom were too scared to rebel. A lot of them had come into the town for sanctuary, for a home. And Dream's father had granted them that. But now it was the young kings responsibility to keep them in check.

As they paraded through the streets Dream wondered who he could speak to on the subject of his attacker.

His first place was the guards, for obvious reasons.

If that didn't work he needed a plan B.

He noted the more popular places in town.

There was the town hall which contained a Library and court room.

There was the prime church.

A small bakery on the outskirts of the town.

And a pub located in the middle of the town which was usually overrun every-night. 

Given that he could literally see the latter in his sights he figured it would be a good place to start before he went to the guards.

He subtly flicked his head in its direction, letting his two princes know where they were going, before traipsing over to the rustic building.

Kicking the door open, he is met with the familiar elderly man who runs the place.

The man looks unfazed by the appearance of the king and just continues to wipe down the bar.

He was one of the first residence of the kingdom when Dream's father took over and was close with the king before he passed.

No greetings were exchanged between the four people as the 3 royals took a seat infront of the bar.

"Can I help you?" the barman asked in a gruff voice, not taking his eyes of his work.

"We need to know if you've seen anyone new or suspicious the past few days" George says after receiving a look from Dream to respond to the man.

"I see a lot of people" he replies simply.

"You've been here long enough to know who's local or not" Dream responded, trying to hide his frustration at the vague and unsatisfying response.

The trio watched as the man turned his back to them for a moment, as if trying to avoid answering.

"There was someone last night I hadn't seen before" he states after a while, his back still turned.

"What did they look like?" Dream huffs out, getting  angry at the mans slow and incomplete answers.

"I didn't see their face. They were wearing a long green cloak and their face was covered in a mask similar to yours and came in around 9, probably left around 11 ." 

Even more frustrated by the new information, Dream's hands tighten into fists. Sapnap sees this and quickly sends his friend a look. The prince was more than aware of his peers anger issues and knew that if they were to get the best of him in this situation they would leave without the information they needed.

"Wouldn't they have taken off their mask to drink? did you not see their face then?" Sapnap asks calmly.

The man turns round at this, sighing in annoyance.

"It was a busy night, I have a lot of people coming in and out, I don't have the time to watch people I haven't seen before. We get a lot of travellers around these parts, it would take up all my god damn job to keep and eye on all of them" He snaps, sick of the kings questioning.

Although his temper was very much raised, the older man kept his voice the same, knowing it was better not to raise his voice at the king.

Sapnap sees what coming and places his gloved hand on Dreams chest, pushing him back as he goes to lunge at the man.

"Thank you for your time, we will be going now" George says, following behind his two friends as Sapnap practically shoves Dream out of the pub.

The townspeople had gone back to their normal business now that the surprise of the kings presence had worn off. 

Sure they were all cautious of him and stayed away from them but they were no longer just stood staring.

Dream knew what was next on the agenda. 

He no longer felt he needed to speak to the guards. He knew that the assassin was in the town in the evening, he didn't know when they had entered but knew they must have left after the gates had shut and the guards were on duty. He would have heard from them if they had seen anyone leaving. The gates stayed open later during the summer seeing as it stayed lighter longer so there was really no way of knowing when the person had entered the kingdom. Hell they could've been there all day and they would have no idea. Dream took note to

The dream team exit the gates and head west.

Soon the biggest problem for the new king came into view.

A simple and seemingly on fire caravan.