twenty

"Is your friend staying here long?"  

I turned around, a dishcloth in one hand, a clean glass in the other, noticing Niall leaning in the small opening separating us. I shrugged before leaning back against the counter and mindlessly wiping the glass.  

"I hope not," I admitted, looking over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of Harry.  

He sat at one of the tables near the window and read the journal, a coffee next to him. He had been there from the moment I started my shift three hours ago. When he had dropped me off in front of the restaurant, I had hoped that he would then be leaving. I even believed he was since once I was out of his car, he started to drive away, but I was mistaken.

It only took me getting into the employee's room to change, when I came out, I immediately spotted him sitting at the table. He had only gone to park his car before coming in the restaurant and getting a table.  

I tried to politely tell him to leave out, but he wouldn't have it. I stopped trying before we caused a scene, but if he were to stay, I was determined to I kept our contact to the minimum. So, in the span of three hours, I took his order - he ordered his usual - and I brought him his plate. After that I only walked quickly by his table to refill his coffee and never spoke to him. He tried to start a conversation with me, but every time, I would turn around, ignoring him completely. 

I knew Niall had noticed how tense I was, but I was glad that he kept his questions to himself. He didn't even ask why I missed two work shifts. He knew that something was wrong and that if I wanted to talk about it, I would. It was something I really appreciated with Niall, he seemed to always be exactly what I needed. A drinking body, a shoulder to cry on, or simple company, I felt as if he could do it all.  

"You know," Niall said with a suggestive tone. "I heard that alcohol helps with forgetting."

I laughed softly. "Does it?"  

With Niall, alcohol seemed to be a typical conversation topic. It also seemed to be the solution to everything.  

He nodded dramatically. "It does," he confirmed. "And I happen to be free Friday night."

"And I happen to want to forget," I replied, my tone light, but my words true.  

We kept the conversation light, but I knew that this was Niall's way to tell me that he was there if I needed him. And I gladly accepted his support, even if it was in the form of a drunken night. Wendy had supported me by acknowledging my pain, giving me advice as well as small words of support. I appreciated it, but it seemed to only remind me everything that was happening. I felt as if Niall's approach was much more appropriate right now.  

Niall chuckled, with his precious and unique laugh, and I laughed along. It seemed impossible not to laugh when he was. His laugh alone was enough to make anyone join him, even if there was nothing funny.  

His laughter stopped when his eyes landed on someone behind me. I didn't even need to look to know exactly why his eyes were slowly widening.  

"Am I interrupting something?" 

Harry's voice sent chills through my spine, and it took me a second to gather enough strength to face him. I inhaled deeply to calm myself down, but it was no use; once I turned around and saw him so close to me, looking into my eyes with such intensity, it took my breath away.  

He had his armed crossed over the counter and leaned in, lazily holding his empty cup of coffee. He wore a smile, but it was nothing reassuring. Once he detached his eyes from mine and stared at Niall, his smile became menacing.