five

Too early, it was too early for me to be up on a Tuesday morning, especially considering that it was my only day off this week. After working a double shift yesterday, I had planned on sleeping in this morning and only wake up in the afternoon, but someone was knocking at my door, keeping me from doing that. I would’ve usually ignored it, I actually tried ignoring it, but the person standing on the other side of the door was very persistent. I groaned and cursed Wendy for being out to school and not answering the door for me.

Eventually I got up to answer the door. I lazily made my way to it, my feet shuffling against the wooden floor, my palms rubbing my sleepy eyes. I didn’t bother to look into the peephole to see who it was and opened the door.

The first thing that hit me was the smell of fresh coffee. The second thing was that Harry was standing in front of me, early in the morning and sober.

“What are you doing here?” was the first thing I said.

Harry’s lips lifted upward in a cheeky grin. “Good morning to you too,” he greeted me.

I rolled my eyes, too tired to come up with a proper comeback. Harry laughed and I grunted before turning around and heading to my bedroom. I could hear him closing and locking the door before following me closely behind. I headed straight to my bed, completely ignoring Harry and hoping that I hadn’t been up long enough for sleep to completely leave me for today.

“You’re going back to bed?” Harry asked, disbelief clear in his tone.

I didn’t bother turning my head to look at him and simply mumbled in my pillow. None of the words that escaped my mouth made sense, I didn’t even understand them myself, but Harry got the idea that I was, in fact, returning to bed.

“But I brought you coffee,” he protested.

I didn’t even need to look at him to know that he was pouting. “I’ll drink it when I wake up.”

“It will be cold by then,” he said, his tone resembling one of a child.

I turned my head towards him. He was standing at the edge of my bed, the two cups of coffee still in his hands. He looked disappointed and I instantly felt bad. I knew that the coffee Harry had brought would be perfect, simply because he knew exactly how I liked it. It was also clear that he had done that to make me happy and never intended to disturb me.

My guilt towards refusing his kind gesture overtook my need for sleep. I sighed and sat up in bed, accepting the fact that I wasn’t going to get any more sleep. I patted the space next to me and Harry smiled softly before handing me the two cups. He took off his coat and his jeans then came to sit under the covers next to me. I rolled my eyes as he gave me a defiant smile and I handed him the cup with his name on it.

We stayed silent as we both took a sip of our coffee. I could feel Harry looking at me from the corner of his eyes, making sure that I liked my drink. I took in a beep breath, inhaling the smell that I loved so much. Coffee was a guilty pleasure of mine, something I always craved when I really shouldn’t. After I took my first sip, I hummed in satisfaction; it was creamy and sweet, exactly how I liked it.

“It’s perfect,” I informed him. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he said back, sending me a dazzling smile.

I smiled back before taking another sip. “I don’t mean to be rude but why are you here?” I asked after a short silence.

Harry shrugged. “To bring you coffee. You love coffee, ” he replied matter-of-factly.

“At-” I turned towards my alarm clock to check the time. “Eight o’clock in the morning?”

Harry shrugged again. I looked at him, expecting some sort of explanation but got none as Harry kept avoiding my gaze. I didn’t say anything and kept looking at him, knowing that eventually he would spill the beans.