thirty-two

It was warm, so comfortably warm, that I wished I could've stayed in that position forever.

The sun had started his slow ascent in the sky and small rays of sunshine peaked through the curtains that covered the windows.

Harry's chest moved slowly to the rhythm of his breathing. Around us, there were no sounds that could be heard apart from the small snores and grumbles coming from his mouth. I laid on his chest with my eyes wide open for ten, twenty, or maybe even thirty minutes. Time had no measures when his arms held me so tightly.

There was something reassuring in the position we were in. Half of my body laid on top of his, while his arms circled me. It brought me a feeling of both comfort and protection. Even if part of me didn't trust him, when he held me that way, I always felt safe. No matter how much he had hurt me the day before, no matter how loudly his words echoed in my mind, in the light of the morning and in the warmth of his embrace, it was hard to believe that this beautiful broken boy could hurt me.

Seconds and minutes went by, while I stayed still on Harry's chest. It seemed to be happening quite a lot lately; me lying on Harry's chest, too scared to move and break the moment. It saddened me to always see us as fragile, but how could I not? Mornings had become our little heaven, my bed our sanctuary, a place where no evil could reach us.

And as the day evolved, it seemed like there was always a new challenge arising. Everyday we would take a step forward and ten backwards, but it was never enough for me to let go, because everyday my feelings became more intense, everyday I found something new to hold on to.

Strangely, Harry weakened me, but also made me feel stronger. It was a beautiful paradox that I couldn't fully understand.

It was almost 11am when Harry finally stirred from his position. I pulled away slightly, trying to give him enough space to wake up properly, but was immediately pulled back against his chest. I was tugged so suddenly that the impact stopped my breathing for a second. But during that second, I heard a low grunt before everything flashed in front of me and I was pushed on my back. Harry had shifted us in a different position so that he was now the one lying on my chest.

I felt his lips before anything else, warm and slightly wet, going up and down my neck. I closed my eyes, unable to hold in the smile that was creeping on my lips. His lips made a loud smacking sound whenever they touched my skin and a small giggle escaped my lips every time.

"Good morning," I said between laughs. All the dark thoughts that I had were quickly fading with each kiss.

Harry stopped his assault and nuzzled my neck before humming. "Morning," he then mumbled on my skin.

His warm breath hit my skin and it sent shivers down my spine as his calloused hands roamed around my body. This was the kind of moment I wanted with Harry, not just in the mornings after a fight, but always. But I wondered if that's what our life was doomed to be, bright mornings and dark nights; heavy breathing and cruel fights.

"Come back to me," he whispered as he lifted himself up to my ear before kissing it lightly and descending my jaw.

I blinked a few times, realizing that I had indeed zoned out. I mumbled a quick sorry and Harry went completely above me so that we would be looking straight into each other's eyes. His eyes had gone back to the light green that I loved so much. The red rim had dissipated over night and was now replaced with leftover sleep. Harry's eyes weren't fully open, but I could clearly see the bright shade of his eyes, a color that lasted only about an hour after Harry had woken up. It was a unique colour; green with sprinkles of gold in the center and an outline the colour of the forest.