𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 3

"I know exactly what to do,"  Mother Gisela told me.

SOPHIE! The voice boomed again.

I whimpered in pain again. "Make it stop," I groaned.

Mother Gisela rose from her crouch and rushed out of the room. I heard murmured debate from outside, but I tuned it out in hopes that it would help the headache. Of course, it didn't help one bit.

The debate outside the door lasted for about 30 more seconds before father Fintan rushed to my side with a silver elixir.

"Drink this," he ordered.

I obeyed as he poured the metallic-tasting liquid across my tongue. I swallowed the liquid, and it numbed my body as it went, dragging me down into the darkness.

*******

As my eyes fluttered open, I realized I was back in my bed, covered in thin white sheets.

"How are you feeling, Nyx?" Vespera asked me.

I groaned and rubbed my forehead sitting up. "Better," I told her.

Vespera nodded slowly. "Can you explain what caused your headache?"

"It wasn't a headache," I argued, "It was a voice."

"What kind of voice?" Someone asked from nearby.

I swung my head around to find Ruy, my brother, sitting across from the room on a small metal stool.

"Like, an accented one, in my head. At first, it was a whisper, but then it turned louder, kinda like someone was screaming in my ears," I replied.

Ruy unleashed a string of colourful words under his breath, and I felt tempted to do the same.

"What was the voice saying?" Vespera asked, interrupting Ruy's colourful festival.

"It kept saying 'Sophie,'" I responded.

This time, Vespera joined in on the string of colourful words, adding some blue and green to the mix.

"Can we put the colourful words on pause and let Nyx rest?" Mother asked, striding into the room.

I opened my mouth to protest, but mother Gisela held up a hand.

"You need rest. Sedatives aren't the same thing," she told me.

I glared at her. "Yes, they are."

She glared right back. "No, they aren't. And you will rest, or I'm taking away your daggers."

I glanced at my daggers, then back at mother. I knew she'd go through with the threat. I grit my teeth and pulled the covers around me.

"Good. Now, you two," mother said, gesturing to Vespera and Ruy. "Come with me."

Vespera and Ruy followed mother out of the room, closing the door behind them. Once they left, I checked for their thoughts to see if they were gone, and I luckily heard nothing.

I grinned and hopped out of bed. If they seriously thought I was that dumb, they needed more braincells. I wasn't stupid, I saw all those looks they were giving each other.

I opened the door quietly and snuck to where the adults were. They were in a large room with a long table and chairs, and they were already mid-conversation. I peered in, and they luckily didn't notice me.

"It's too dangerous," My father told mother, Ruy, Vespera and Alvar.

"She would be wearing a disguise," My mother argued.

Who were they talking about?

"What if it wears off?" Ruy asked.

"It won't. Crimson is already working on a gadget that will prevent that," Vespera replied.

Crimson was their technopath... why would she be making a gadget that prevents a disguise from wearing off? Was it another mission in the Lost Cities?

"Technology fails," father argued.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Fintan, Crimson isn't just some technopath, she's extraordinary. And even if it did fail, we are always prepared," mother snapped.

There was a brief silence before mother added, "They're looking for her, Fintan. We can't keep her here forever. You and I both know that they'll go to great lengths to get her back. Keeping her here will just increase the chance of them finding her."

Who was looking for who? Why was father upset? So many questions and theories ran through my head.

"Then we fight back!" Father yelled, pounding his fist against the table. "We aren't some scared gazelles!"

"She's going to Foxfire. End of conversation." Vespera announced firmly.

"And what happens if she recognizes them!?" Ruy argued, standing up from his chair.

"We didn't just erase her memories, Ruy. We shattered them," mother replied.

Okay, I really needed to know who this "she" was. Maybe later I could ask Crimson.

"And only the Moonlark can heal shattered memories and minds," Vespera added.

Moonlark? I had once heard about them, a rare species of bird. But why did they go from talking about this mysterious "she," to talking about birds?

Father pounded his fist again and got up to leave the room. I panicked and ran back to my bedroom, hastily pulling the covers over me to pretend I was sleeping.

But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sleep, because the same question kept ringing in my ears.

 Who is this mysterious "she"?