𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 4

That night, I dreamed of... eyes?

Well, not just eyes. They all consisted of different colours.

Teal.

Blue with silver flecks.

Perriwinkle.

Ice blue.

The last one made my heart do a weird fluttery thing... whatever that was supposed to mean.

But the weird thing was, I felt like I recognized them. Sure, I'd seen teal eyes because of Alvar, but seeing the colours made me feel like a huge weight was being lifted off of my chest.

Almost like...

"Get up Nyx," Father Fintan's voice boomed into my dreams, making me drift back into consciousness and interrupting my odd dreams.

I groaned and sat up rubbing her eyes to find Ruy, Gisela, Fintan, Vespera and Alvar standing at the end of my bed.

"Geez, so much for privacy," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

No one answered as Ruy threw a pelted skirt and tunic at me.

"Uh, what's with the fancy uniform?" I asked, crinkling my nose in disgust as I picked the skirt up as if it was the dirtiest thing in the world.

"Oh, stop being such a wimp, Nyx," Vespera told me, snatching the skirt and tossing it back onto my bed.

Mother Gisela sucked in a breath, lifting her chin and placing her arms at her sides. "Today you will be starting Foxfire."

"WHAT?!?" I shouted, jumping out of bed. "You can't be serious!"

When no one denied it, I turned to Father.

"Please tell me they're not serious," I begged.

"Unfortunately, they are," Father muttered through a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Why me?" I whined. "Why can't Ruy go?"

Vespera stalked toward me, glaring coldly.
"Tell me, Nyx. What makes you think that we would explain everything to you? This is our plan. Our demands. If you don't follow what we say, there will be consequences."

"Like what?" I sassed. "Are you gonna take away my daggers? Honestly, it's hilarious that you think taking away my daggers can stop me, after I have them hidden around the base after your last threat, and my money's on that it'll take you at least a month to find them all. And when you do find them, you can go shove them up your-"

"NYX!" Mother Gisela shouted, cutting me off before I could finish the nasty sentence.

"Sorry," I muttered, crossing my fingers behind my back as a symbol that I, in fact, was not sorry.

Mother huffed out a breath when she spotted my crossed fingers. "You're going to Foxfire and that's final."

I grit my teeth in protest, but then a smile bloomed on my face. "Make me."

Mother Gisela gave me a cold smile in return.

Yep, I'm screwed. I realized as she slowly sat down on one of my rather uncomfy chairs.

"Fine. I can't make you go to Foxfire," Mother admitted, fidgeting with her hands. "But I can lock you in this room and take away everything in it, making you feel like you're in Exile. So you tell me, Nyx. Foxfire or Exile?"

I huffed out a breath, my brow furrowing. "Personally I'd rather Exile than a bunch of posh kids roaming around practically screaming, 'look at me, my parents are rich and I'm a spoiled little brat with the IQ of a walnut!' So, Exile it is."

I smirked as Ruy snickered and Gisela faltered for a response. But to no one's surprise, Vespera The Nosy-pants stepped in.

"Listen, kid. Just because you're one of us doesn't make you this rebellious, sassy, ugly little brat you think you are-" She threatened, but I cut her off with a snort.

"Pretty sure you just gave the perfect description of yourself, Vessie," I spat with a small smirk, purposely using the most hilarious nickname I could think of.

But dang, if looks could kill, I'd be long dead due to the death glares Vespera had been shooting my way.

"You have no idea how lucky you are that you're her daughter," Vespera snarled, pointing to Mother Gisela. "Because if you weren't, you'd be long dead."

And with that, everyone but me and Ruy stormed out of the room, yelling and arguing with each other.

After what felt like an eternity of silence, Ruy walked over to my bed and sat beside me, taking the uniform and placing it in the middle.

"Listen, Nyx. I get that you don't want to go to Foxfire. Trust me, I've been in your place. But... mom and dad are counting on you. If you won't do it for them... can you at least do it for me?" He pleaded.

I hesitated. No, I didn't want to go to Foxfire. Like, at all. But... Ruy had always been there for me. The least I could do was do a small favour for him... even if it meant I suffered.

I sighed. "I'll do it."