11. Making Peace

Hermione was almost hesitant to go to class the next morning because she knew everyone would be talking about how she sobbed on the stairs the night before or worse, how Malfoy approached her and handed her a napkin. She wasn't sure how to feel about it, it was just so... unexpected and strange. After what looked to be a 'friendly interaction' on the dance floor, it wouldn't be a great look if someone saw him giving her a napkin last night. She felt weird as it is already and didn't want people to assume they were friends or even on good terms with each other. He wouldn't like that, too.

Of course, he wouldn't! She felt a sense of relief. He would ridicule her hair or her interest in 'boring' literature the moment others started whispering about how they weren't fighting and he was being polite to her by offering a napkin, and she would tease him with her higher grades. Everything would be back to normal, she assured herself and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast.

When she turned around the corner she didn't know how to respond to the scene in front of her. It wasn't the first time something similar had occurred, but she had never seen so many people at her table before. There were Gryffindors, Slytherins, Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, Durmstrangs, and Beauxbatons on every table! If it was her first year at Hogwarts, she definitely would have a hard time finding the Gryffindor table.

She noticed Luna's bright pink sweater and went to sit next to her. "Morning," she greeted her and Ginny as she sat down.

"Hello, Hermione," Luna chimed.

"Hi, Luna."

Ginny was looking at her, moving her eyebrows in an attempt to catch her attention. "You want to tell me why you came late last night?" She sounded amused, probably thinking of something related to Viktor.

"Had a little argument with Ron-"

"What? I thought you were with Krum!" She seemed more disappointed than Hermione could have ever imagined.

"No, he left a bit earlier," to dodge the conversation, she shoved a piece of pie into her mouth.

"I don't get it, what did he do?"

Nice question.

"How do you know?" Luna cut in. "What if she did something?"

"He's my brother, I know he did something," she rolled her eyes.

"I see...was he the reason you were crying on the stairs, Hermione?" Luna's words made Hermione's eyes widen along with Ginny's. No, Luna, no, no...

"WHAT?" Everyone at their table turned their heads towards them.

Hermione poked her arm. "Keep it down, will you?" Ginny nodded and waited for her to speak. Hermione recounted the events of last night.

"One second, did you two actually," she took a quick look around and whispered, "kiss?"

Hermione blushed thinking about it, the memory brought her a ray of happiness. "Yes, it happened quickly but it still felt better than I expected it to be. Then, Ron started saying all that.." she trailed off. What was she supposed to say to his sister?

"That moron!" Her nostrils flared, and Hermione couldn't help but feel grateful. "I can't believe he said those things about Krum. I mean Viktor Krum, his all-time favourite player!"

"Exactly! I thought he would be supportive the most."

"Will you talk to him?"

"Eventually, yes," Hermione played with her fingernails. "But he needs to make an effort. It was rude and embarrassing."

Ginny observed her face for a while and finally asked what she was dying to know. "How about Malfoy?"

Hermione lifted her head. "What about him?"