19. A Light In The Dark

I want to thank everyone who continued to stick with this story because I have read my first chapter now and I feel like I might go back later and change a few bits 😅 I guess I did get better over time and learned more.

Nowadays when I write, I think more about the writing itself than the story. Back then I was too excited for the story to progress that I didn't care too much about the little details I care about now.

So, if you are still reading... THANK YOU! 😭💖

"Hermione?" A voice called out to her but she barely registered it. "Hermione!" The voice tried a little harder and Hermione looked up at Harry.

"Sorry, I must've spaced out," she replied absentmindedly.

He didn't seem to understand what she said as he sat down next to her. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked cautiously, not wanting to push her.

She shook her head in response. "A bit overwhelmed with all the tasks I think," she replied, hoping that Harry would understand.

Over the last two years, they had become closer than ever, especially while exchanging late-night thoughts with one another. They would talk about the differences between the two worlds, how magic changed them, her family, their friendship, their future and the skills they should learn in case any of them encounters Voldemort once again. She had grown closer to Ron as well, but he wasn't the type to really speak about this stuff. Harry understood her, at least that's how she felt. He knew her better than anyone else in Hogwarts and she hated lying to him. But how could she possibly tell her all that had happened previously between her and Malfoy?

It had been four days since their last practice and they were patrolling together tonight. She was unsure of how to act around him anymore. A lot had changed for her since she last saw him, both positively and negatively.

She had been thinking about him nonstop for the past four days. Snape mentioning his aunt's name was the turning point. She could be training Draco in the same manner that Voldemort had previously trained her. If that were the case, he might've learned some really dangerous spells. Hermione's thoughts were racing as she wondered if he had ever cast an unforgivable curse before. She'd always felt the idea of him joining the dark side was a little far-fetched. But now, now it wasn't and she knew it. Even though they managed to hide it well in the last decade, his family had been Voldemort's staunch supporters for many years, as evidenced by his father's imprisonment in Azkaban last year.

She had to stay away from him and keep her friends away as well. He had never been this dangerous before; he was more than who she thought he was now. A man capable of murder.

"Who are you with tonight?" Ron walked alongside her as they approached a cornerstone.

"Malfoy," she replied and stopped.

"Oh," Ron swallowed slowly. "Are you sure you're okay? The duel didn't seem like you two were getting along, I mean, of course not but still,"

Hermione closed her eyes and smiled. "I'm okay, Ron. We have a different way of getting along," he didn't seem pleased with her answer. "I kick his arse occasionally,"

Ron chuckled softly. "I have no doubt about that,"

Although her friends were used to Hermione having prefect duties with Draco, they never really felt comfortable with it, especially after being duel partners. She always felt the need to change the subject. "Who are you with?"

All colours seemed to have drained off of him. "Pansy,"

"Ouch," Hermione tried not to laugh. "I should be asking you if you're okay,"