20. Helping Hands

After taking a much-needed mental break, I'm back. Sorry for keeping you guys waiting. Love you all🖤

Hermione stared at the piece of paper in her hand. She wanted to write a letter to her parents but didn't really know what to say to them. She didn't like telling all about the wizarding world they couldn't experience. It would be cruel.

She shook her head slightly and put the paper back in her pocket, glancing at Harry who seemed engrossed in his Advanced Potion Making book. She'd seen him reading it during lunch when they were supposed to be studying, but hadn't paid him much attention then.

Whoever this Half-Blood Prince was, she was sure he wouldn't like finding out someone using his belonging. And she still thought it was cheating. She disapproved of how Harry had gotten so much better without putting much effort. He had even won Felix Felicis thanks to that book.

"I don't think you should be reading it that often," Hermione said.

He looked up from his book with a blank expression. "Isn't it what you always do, Hermione?"

"Harry!" she exclaimed. "Don't be such a git about it. Just because you have different instructions, doesn't mean you have become a potions master. It doesn't work that way!"

"You're just bitter because I have passed your score," he countered.

Hermione couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. Of course, she didn't like the way he got those scores but she wouldn't feel bitter about it. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and turned away from him. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him anymore she just didn't know how to react. It hurt her.

Harry closed his eyes. "I didn't mean that," he said quietly.

She was silent for a while. Finally, after a long sigh, she spoke. "I'm not that petty, Harry. You know I would never try and get in the way of your success, no matter what."

Harry swallowed deeply and walked over to where she was sitting on the ground by the sofa. He crouched down in front of her. He waited for her to look at him, but she refused knowing that she would relent in the second. "I can share it with you if you want," he suggested.

How dare he could think she wanted that? There were spells in that book that she didn't even know about. And he was obsessed with learning more about them. "That's not what I want, Harry. This isn't fun anymore, you're treating it as if it's a part of you now,"

He didn't like the direction of the conversation and stood back up. "I'd prefer if we don't talk about this any longer, I really don't like arguing with you or Ron, but you two are almost testing me nowadays,"

"What do you-"

"I can make my own decisions, Hermione. Please respect them, okay?" His voice was tired and angry and it hurt her to hear him talk like this. Even though he wasn't yelling at her, the way he said her name was enough to send a chill down her spine.

She took a deep breath, "Okay," She didn't think the book had a spell on it that made him so obsessed with it, but she knew he wasn't himself when it came to it. He had tasted the sweetness of easy win once and learned spells that he thought many didn't know about, and it made him feel powerful. She could only wish he wouldn't get himself hurt.

"I know that you are not a child, Harry, but sometimes you still act like one. None of us wants anything bad for you. I wouldn't give a single damn if you were better than me in any class!" his lips parted, coming to a realisation. "It's true! Being the top student is important to me but I wouldn't care if you were above me. Do you know why?"