16. The Project Partners

Hermione had been spending the last two weeks of summer at the Weasleys. If it was for her parents, she wouldn't leave home until September 1st. She would miss them a lot, but this summer was different. After what happened at the Ministry, her mind would find its ways to worry about her friend.

After Sirius's death, Harry became quite ill. The illness wasn't the usual type of sickness that affected his body. There weren't any symptoms of a fever, sore throat or anything like that. It was just that his mind seemed to be elsewhere all the time. And he couldn't sleep at all. Sometimes he would only leave his bed to grab a bite. But, as time passed by, Harry slowly started feeling stronger again and gradually returned to his normal healthy self.

Hermione had only seen the 'recovered' version of him, but he still seemed worrisome. Ron had been writing to her all summer. Dumbledore convinced the Dursley's that it was better for Harry to stay at his friend's house. They weren't upset at all. Dudley was quick to invade Harry's abandoned room. Hermione told Ron not to push him, to give him time. Ron and the Weasleys were sad for Harry but they didn't overwhelm him during the process. When Hermione came, she could see that sometimes he would pretend to be okay to not worry anyone. But thankfully, after months of being around his friends, he seemed so much better.

Except for his crazy ideas.

"I'm telling you, he's one of them!"

Hermione closed her eyes not to eye roll. She was happy that her friend was okay, but she just couldn't agree with his way of thinking. It wasn't just crazy, it was unrealistic and even delusional to her.

"One of who?" Ron sat at the Gryffindor table, next to Hermione.

She checked for any eavesdroppers and whispered. "Harry believes that, Draco Malfoy is now," she shook her head, "a death eater!"

"What?!" Ron choke on his food and reached for the water. Hermione patted his back, waiting for him to feel better. "You can't be serious,"

Harry remained calm and quiet. Ron looked at Hermione in a way that he would when he wanted to confirm something. "But he can't be, right?"

Hermione nodded approvingly. "Being a death eater is not like signing for a student club. Do you even know who they are Harry?" She looked around once again, luckily most of the students preferred to sleep over breakfast this Sunday. "They were his friends, or more like his classmates. He didn't even manipulate them, they already were blood supremacists. All the death eaters were and are very powerful witches and wizards. They have sent countless killing curses. Now let's be reasonable for a second. Why would someone like you know who want a sixth-year student in his inner circle? What spells can Draco even do??"

Harry kept playing with his food while Ron cautiously watched the two. "She's right, Harry. You have to at least kill someone to be one of them-"

Harry looked up. "Maybe he already did."

"Harry!" Hermione warned. "You can't say things like that, he's still a student."

"Tom Riddle was also a student and we know what he was capable of," he said bitterly.

Ron's eyes widened. "Mate, he was and still is a lunatic. Malfoy is just a scaredy-cat who would always threaten people by using his father, who is in Azkaban right now," Harry looked at Hermione and sighed. "The only problem Malfoy is going to cause this year would be beating us at the quidditch games!"

Harry smirked at him. "So, you'll finally try?"

"Of course, I will. My best friend and my sister are already in the team. It will be like home,"

Harry raised his eyebrows. "You know, during the eliminations, we won't, uh, I mean I won't be... biased."

"Oh," Ron seemed somewhat taken aback by the news. He was obviously hoping that his connections would help him out a bit. "I know, of course not! My best friend being the captain of the team won't change anything, for sure. I meant to say that I would feel welcomed,"