25. His Friend

Hermione realised she couldn't give Draco the benefit of the doubt after hearing Snape and Draco's conversation a few days before. Not after what he said about pride and being chosen. Why did it always matter so much? Why were they dragged into a war that no one wanted them to be a part of? They were, and still are, a bunch of kids in the end and yet here they all were acting like pawns in someone else's game of chess. That didn't make any sense!

Harry never wanted to be chosen, he didn't like that kind of attention. He just wanted to have a good time with his friends and enjoy the new world he had found himself in. Yet from the very first day he stepped into this world, it appeared as though everyone wanted something out of him. To meet him, shake his hand, be his friend, be referred to as his friend, try to understand how he managed to survive, and learn everything there is to know about him. To be more than who he is.

He ultimately sculpted himself into the hero they had imagined him to be. Although Hermione didn't like it when he placed himself in danger, he would go to any lengths to keep those around him safe. And he was doing it out of love for them, not because he was named as the chosen one by some prophecy.

Draco, on the other hand, did not appear to share the same views. He enjoyed boasting and highlighting his achievements. But she didn't once see him putting himself in harm's way for his friends like Harry would. He lacked the strength or selflessness to take risks for the benefit of others. But he was still chosen!

She would have assumed that he was under threat, but he didn't appear to be frightened. She had no idea what he was chosen for but he was extremely proud of it, and she felt scared. Not just for herself, but for everyone.

She was terrified for him as well when they referenced him, and even though they never stated his name, she knew precisely who they were talking about. Last year, she had a brief encounter with him at the Ministry, and she found him to be more frightening than she had imagined. She remembered not wanting him to know who she was if that was possible. The mere thought of it made her feel sick.

For the previous two days, she had managed to avoid Draco, but today, while on patrol, she had no choice but to see him. She had no idea how she would behave naturally around him and how big of an impact he would inevitably have on her. It was best for her to maintain her distance and think out what to say to him without giving anything away. She undoubtedly had no other option than to wait for him to tell her to mind her own business—something he wasn't doing that much recently, by the way.

When she got to the Clock Tower Courtyard, she went to find a spot near the walls and sat down on a bench in a quiet corner. The weather was nice, the sun was out for a few minutes, and the courtyard was quiet despite the bustle in the corridors. Her eyes scanned for a friend, waiting for them to come and sit next to her but as she looked around, none of them was near at all. She sighed, she could enjoy her sandwich by herself if she so wished. As she reached into her bag for her food, she caught a glimpse of an interesting sight in the distance. A tall figure, wearing a green tie walked towards her and stopped in front of the bench where she had chosen.

"Blaise?"

He gave her a smile and scratched his neck. "Hi, Granger."

She smiled a little. "Addressing people by their last names is a Slytherin trait I suppose?" She asked with a slight laugh.

"Does that mean you actually are a Slytherin in disguise then?" He replied with another question.

She rolled her eyes. "I don't do that to people I know, or the people I'm close with."

"You still call Draco 'Malfoy' though?" he raised a brow and sat next to her. "You don't mind, do you?"

"No, of course not," she shook her head and inched away to give him space. He looked at her, waiting for her answer. "As for Draco," she emphasised on his name and cleared her throat. "I only do that because he almost never calls me by my name, so why should I?"